News:

Main Menu

Quark XPress 2018

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, April 10, 2019, 11:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Seems to handle .psd's ok, exported one with transparency. Looks ok. Fingers crossed. Don't wanna feel this way ----------->  :facepalm: any time soon.

pspdfppdfxhd

Update, september 2022... quark not handling newer pdfs well at all. Hate this program, just sayin. Again.

Possum

They need to get moving. System developers have to keep up with Adobe's new versions, not the other way around.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Slappy

I can't even remember the last time we saw a Quark file come through it's been years.
And never want to, honestly.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on September 23, 2022, 04:50:44 PMUpdate, september 2022... quark not handling newer pdfs well at all. Hate this program, just sayin. Again.
Update October 19, 2022, Quark sucks big time at least for pp work. Is there some arena of life where it shines?

Tracy

;D  I remember when I didn't want to learn InDesign 

madbugger

Quote from: Tracy on October 20, 2022, 08:11:31 AM;D  I remember when I didn't want to learn InDesign
Me too. Resisted for a long time. I think it was the pagemaker becoming inDesign thing.

Pagemaker was almost as bad as Publisher, and early indesign was just as bad.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

Tracy

Joe

Quote from: madbugger on October 20, 2022, 10:51:37 AM
Quote from: Tracy on October 20, 2022, 08:11:31 AM;D  I remember when I didn't want to learn InDesign
Me too. Resisted for a long time. I think it was the pagemaker becoming inDesign thing.

InDesign 1.5 was still pagemaker just with a different name. InDesign 2.0 changed the page layout world.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

madbugger

Quote from: Joe on October 20, 2022, 12:23:05 PM
Quote from: madbugger on October 20, 2022, 10:51:37 AM

InDesign 1.5 was still pagemaker just with a different name. InDesign changed the page layout world.
I was dragged kicking and screaming towards using Indesign. Finally rolled over and started using it from CS3. As a shop that had around 10,000 legacy quark files it was a long and slow journey to Indesign.

I think we still have about 5 or so jobs that are a quark file that we still print. They haven't changed in 20 years, and are now a quark generated pdf that has been placed into Indesign and output from there. Very minor changes are just pasted over the top, anything more than simple changes and we recreate in Indesign.

I have an old G5 Mac that still has quark 4.1 on it that is used for absolute emergencies, but I can't remember the last time it was turned on, probably about 5 years ago.

There were things that quark used to do 15 yrs ago that were still done better then than what Indesign currently does, but not that many anymore. It was a brilliant program in its day, it just got steamrolled by the Adobe juggernaut.

I remember the deal we got at the time - Upgrade to CS3 for the price of a Photoshop upgrade if you had a photoshop licence, which just about everyone had. It was the start of the end of Quark.

A large media organisation here in Australia was Quark based, I'm talking upwards of 4000 licences, probably not a lot by American standards, but fairly substantial nontheless. When they changed to Indesign the rest of the country followed fairly quickly. Little single licence places took longer to switch, but the "Upgrade to CS3 for the price of a Photoshop upgrade if you had a photoshop licence" thing did it. Brilliant marketing from Adobe, now they just bend us over, make us dropout pants and don't even do us the courtesy of using lube, they just dry ream us. >:( >:( >:(
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

— Ted Nugent

DCurry

Quark had 1 feature that is still missing from ID as far as I can tell - you could make custom H&Js and control the minimum number of words that could appear on the last line of a paragraph.

For most users this is likely not even an issue, but there have been more than a few times doing variable data jobs that I would have found it very useful. Closest thing I've found is a complicated method using GREP styles to force a "no break" character style on a certain number of characters at the end of a paragraph.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

Possum

I once had a supervisor that just hated hyphens for some reason. You'd better believe I used that feature.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

madbugger

Quark also had multi color inks where you could mix 2 spot colors to create a third.

It got a reasonable amount of use in our shop
— Madbugger

— Ted Nugent