Looking at Alternatives to Kodak Prinergy

Started by Syphon, March 10, 2015, 09:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

I guess management wants to know what alternatives there are to the Prinergy RIP which we have now.
I'm guessing most shops use Prinergy but we are wanting to look at our options when we upgrade.

So, what RIP options are there and what are the pros and cons?
What about Preps? Does Preps work with specific or all RIPs?
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

David

boy, you can open a can of worms with this one...

Prinergy is more than just a RIP. Are you looking to replace a workflow or just a RIP?
There are ton's of RIP manufacturers out there, depends on the budget and what you want to do with the RIP.
Are you looking for an "online" interface or just something to feed the platesetters?
Do you want or need special screening?
Just too many questions.

As far as Preps, it can be used with any workflow or rip, it is just most commonly used with Prinergy. We used it for years when we were first starting out with Esko for the big presses, and after that with just doing a simple impose to feed a digital printer.
We now use Preps6 with our Prinergy workflow, fixing to upgrade to 7.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

I'm using Fuji XMF, I think Prinergy may be better
depends on what you output I guess.

Fuji has a couple glitches that aren't deal breakers for us.

Joe

Best bang for your buck: FUJI XMF

As a Prinergy user you will find some thing you don't like.

It does have its own built in imposition but you can use Preps with it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Diddler

Quote from: Tracy on March 10, 2015, 11:01:11 AMI'm using Fuji XMF, I think Prinergy may be better
depends on what you output I guess.

Fuji has a couple glitches that aren't deal breakers for us.
Long time Fuji XMF user and can't complain. We are only sheetfed presses and it performs 100% to our needs.
Tracey, you mention "glitches" can you please describe and I might be able to iron then out for you. 
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Tracy

Having to have the same sheet size in a workflow is one, not a big deal tho.
on a sheet wise job having, not being able to remove the color bar?
hmm, maybe I can ungroup to remove the color bar?

I still haven't played around with adding an independent mark.

I'm getting a quicker at using XMF so I can figure anything out I think :laugh:

I will post some more as I think of them

Ear

The sheet size thing is the only one I can think of.

Color bar adding, removing and placement is straight forward.

I use custom marks for registration marks, and such, and it is also straight forward.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Diddler

For different sheet sizes the easiest way is, If you impose a job using the Pagination Mode, you can add another Plates icon to your workflow. Rename it (Cover section etc.) and you can then drag your different sheet sizes to the different plate icons. It only becomes a little bit of extra work when you want to create a PDF. You just have to let XMF know which plates you want to make the PDF from. 

Also to remove the colour bars its should be a simple uncheck in the Dynamic Marks icon and uncheck colour patches.

Tracy

oops I forgot to say remove color bar on 1 side of a SW job
It's no big deal tho :laugh:

frailer

If you're using Dynamic Marks, then yes, looks like no option to remove one side.
Workaround would be to use Custom Marks (L'il PDFs set up and stored in Custom Marks folder.... Imported into XMF for repeated use).

See screenshots.... you have the option of single sides.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Tracy

Thanks Frailer, that works!

wow, that was kind of a no brainer, kinda embarrassed. tee hee

frailer

There is no such concept as embarrassment here. We just accumulate stuff from others, or trip over and share. Impossible to know it all.
BTW, if you're not using Custom Marks, some tips from my experience:
-we set up a bunch of bars.. concentrated session in Indy, making 4 col bars of varying lengths.
-name them for easy ID when you want to place them... e.g. 'solid bars (12mm)_600mm' (width/length).
-alway anchor them to the corner of your impo.. (click on impo corner, Shift/Control click on bar coner--> lock). That way you can change page sizes, Grip, etc. without the bars moving inside the job. (It's happened to me.. )
-when you Export each bar from Indy, remove all marks, no slug area, so that you have the Media Box and all page boxes right to the edge of your bars.

They need to be Imported into the Custom Marks area of XMF. (Admin/Custom Marks/Import). At home, so can't double check that..
That makes them accessible. I have a source folder somewhere obvious, so when you make up new ones they're always coming in from there, as the Import source.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Tracy

frailer

Quote from: Tracy on March 16, 2015, 11:09:24 AMThanks Cap'n!
I need some time to play!
... and when you do, if you're not familiar with it already, under 'Custom Marks' have a look at
-Rectangle and Line Marks
-Text Marks.
Post under XMF to bounce it around, when you get time. Fantastic features.. really useful. You can make/throw custom bars in any colour in the job, including Spots that are present, in seconds.
Text marks are handy too...
-------->  Screenshots.

Shot_A shows a mark thrown onto the job (tint, green surround..). Shot_B shows that Mark now tweaked for size and colour, in this case 100C, just as an example.

Diddler

Only downfall with XMF in doing it this way is your max line width is 762mm.  You have to create the line to 1/2 the size of the job and then duplicate across.