Select a particular font and specific character and change its color?

Started by DCurry, April 29, 2015, 04:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

(Pitstop 11)

I'm not at work right now so I can't try it myself, but does anyone know if it is possible to select a certain character of a particular font and change its color globally?

Here's the scenario: I've got a variable data project (using HP SmartStream Designer) that uses dynamic tables (this means that in my data file there are multiple rows per record, and my InDesign SmartStream template adds as many rows to the variable table as necessary until a new record is reached, at which point it makes a new page and starts again for the next record). Normally I can make a variable item change its color using a rule, but based on my experimentation dynamic tables do not take kindly to rules in SmartStream. There is a cell that contains one of two possible bullet characters, and when the character is "!" it needs to be orange, and when it is "@" it needs to be green. Because rules don't seem to work in dynamic tables, I am limited to making the bullet one color, no matter if it is "!" or "@".

So, I'm hoping that there is a way to use Pitstop to select all the "!" characters of that particular font and change its color to orange. If that's not possible, I could settle for a way to select all "!" characters and change them no matter what the font is (there are no other exclamation points in the document.)
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

mattbeals

split the word into characters, select the character.

I suppose with SmartPreflight it could be possible. That would take a bit of time to investigate.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DCurry

I was able to simplify Joe's action further, while at the same time making it more specific (safer). I don't really need the "split into characters" step because the character I'm changing is always alone anyway, and I don't need the steps for changing the "@" to green because my variable template has them green already. Finally, I included a font selector as well, so it will never change the color of "!" in other fonts.

Joe

Yeah I added the "split into characters" because my test file had other characters on the same textline and it changes the color of the whole textline.

It's pretty amazing what you can do with Pitstop these days.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

abc

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

swampymarsh

I don't know the HP app in question, however you mention that it uses an InDesign document as a template. If the HP software runs inside InDesign and all of the InDesign features are also available – I would suggest using a GREP Style in InDesign.

Create a character style for each of the colours to be applied to the ! or @ symbol.

Your table text would be using a paragraph style, this paragraph style would use two GREP Styles.

The GREP search pattern is too easy, one does not even need to know GREP, all one does is use ! or @ and link the required character style to the character in question.

Now every time a ! or @ character appears in the table text, it would automagically be coloured the correct colour.

In my opinion, it is better to do this at the source when authoring, than to do it in post on the PDF. That being said, it is nice to know how to do it using PitStop too.

DCurry

Swampy, that is an excellent idea, and I do concur that it's always best to do things the right way as early in the process as possible, rather than after the fact in the PDF.

I've never used GREP, but I am definitely going to give it a go in this instance. I shall report back with the results.

DCurry

swampymarsh