CS6/CC Pantone color issue

Started by DigiCorn, August 04, 2014, 12:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

How well do Pantones convert to process using other RIPs? I have Rampage, and the CS6 Pantone (Lab) color conversion is lousy - everything muddies up very dark. There's no workaround other than to rebuild the color as a process and remap, which is fun when you have dozens of linked vector art using that color. Of course, there's always Pitstop.

In CC, I thought I had a workaround that doesn't work for CS6 and that was to check the "convert all spots to process" box and leave the Lab box alone, but it only works at 100% fill value; if it's a screen, same problem as above.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

I change all the linked art, so I don't have that issue. So, you're saying all the tints of said PMS colors don't convert over as well? Hmmm, typical Aduab. I'll look into it when I get a minute. Too busy changing colors over on linked files. :tongue:

Seriously, though... I will check it out.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

We let Prinergy convert everything. No complaints so far. (About converted PMS colors that is. Lot of other kinds of complaints though.)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on August 04, 2014, 12:20:05 PMWe let Prinergy convert everything. No complaints so far. (About converted PMS colors that is. Lot of other kinds of complaints though.)

Okay, Joe... I have a question. Upgraded to Prinergy 6. Updated to Preps 7.0.2... my co-worker who is running Mavs, is having a problem with Preps in conjunction with Prinergy. If he runs Preps as a standalone, no problem. Prinergy is not seeing the AraxiPreps server. Any ideas?
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

Not a Rampage user, so this is just theory, but is it possible to add the current Pantone Libraries to your Rampage?

You mentioned Pitstop - you can easily change the alternate color space from Lab to CMYK in the Preflight panel. You may have to configure Pitstop color management settings first to get good CMYK numbers. This won't convert anything to spot - it just changes what the RIP will refer to when converting.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 04, 2014, 12:27:15 PM
Quote from: Joe on August 04, 2014, 12:20:05 PMWe let Prinergy convert everything. No complaints so far. (About converted PMS colors that is. Lot of other kinds of complaints though.)

Okay, Joe... I have a question. Upgraded to Prinergy 6. Updated to Preps 7.0.2... my co-worker who is running Mavs, is having a problem with Preps in conjunction with Prinergy. If he runs Preps as a standalone, no problem. Prinergy is not seeing the AraxiPreps server. Any ideas?

Make sure you have a hosts file setup on all of your macs pointing to each server used. Also I have better luck with Prinergy when I mount the Jobs and AraxiPreps drives using the computer name instead of the IP address. Also if you start Preps as standalone you need to set your templates and printers folders and then save over Default profile. Then close Preps, open Preps from within Prinergy and set the template and printers folder and then save over the PrepsPrinergy profile.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Cool, that makes total sense. I am running Snow Leopard, so I'm not having an issue, but my co-worker running the Mavs, is. I won't upgrade until we get all the bugs worked out. There are A LOT; my blanket cutter, Quark, CC2014 and various other little things.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

CC 2014 works under both Mavericks and Yosemite. Quark is always a crap shoot. No idea about the cutter software but that type of software is usually the last ones to update for a newer OS.

DigiCorn

Quote from: DCurry on August 04, 2014, 12:28:23 PMNot a Rampage user, so this is just theory, but is it possible to add the current Pantone Libraries to your Rampage?

Maybe. Probably not with our version though. We're still on JVX (10) and they were on 13 before Fuji bought them and discontinued it.

Quote from: DCurry on August 04, 2014, 12:28:23 PMYou mentioned Pitstop - you can easily change the alternate color space from Lab to CMYK in the Preflight panel. You may have to configure Pitstop color management settings first to get good CMYK numbers. This won't convert anything to spot - it just changes what the RIP will refer to when converting.
I know how to do it with Pitstop. It's just extra steps.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Thanks, Joe... worked like a charm. :kiss:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe