Reversing levels of Java

Started by Chilbear, January 14, 2009, 09:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilbear

Has anyone an easy way to reverse backwards one level of Java in XP? I have a workstation that auto installed Version 10 and it has disabled one of the Java based operations that ran only in IExplorer on XP. The solution they say is to revert to version 9 but that is not easy unless I am losing my touch.

The second solution is to run it under Mac and Firefox, which "works" but is missing a few components (live news feeds). Love windows and proprietary software. Not.

Joe

Are you sure you mean Java and not Adobe Flash? I'm up to date on XP and my version of Sun Java is 6 and looking at the Sun web site it appears that is the current version. Adobe just released Flash 10 awhile back which is causing headaches for a lot of folks. Either way you can uninstall from XP's control panel/Add & Remove programs and then download the version you want and re-install it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Laurens

Joe is right ....as always.

Java is at version 6 right now and it allows you to have multiple versions installed simultaneously. The problem must be Flash-related (and the latest version of it indeed seems to be a compatibility nightmare for lots of apps)
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

Chilbear

Java is the one and we have Java V6 Update 11 installed and we want to back up to update 10. If you can have multiple versions installed, how do you get IE to use update 10? When I did get update 10 reinstalled (I think) XP auto installed update 11 over it till I turned off auto updates. Very quirk way in Windows to deinstall and go backwards.

Will look into Flash version. The tech support were the ones who said Java to me when I called in.

Joe

Ahhhhh....v6 update 11 makes sense then. That's what I have presently. I would think if you go into the XP ADD & Remove programs and uninstall update 11 it should (I think) just roll it back to 10. There is also an option in Internet Explorer under "Tools:Internet Options:Advanced" tab. Scroll down and it will allow you to select the version of Java although on mine update 11 is the only option I have. Not sure what happens if I deselect it but maybe just deselecting update 11 in there would allow your application to run without uninstalling it???

Chilbear

We are not worthy...

You are bang on. Uninstalled update 11 and reinstalled 10 (says it was present but) and clicked on the java button within IE>tools>internet>advanced. Java.com confirms update 10. It is trying to install update 11 so I have to stop updates. IE is still not working correctly but does load the site now and though it does not display the panes of information at all, when I detach the pane it has the correct content. Hmmm something about the coding on the site I am now thinking. I am going to fool with another clean install of IE next.

You da bombe Joe.

Joe

What version of IE are you using? I'm not a fan of 7. 8 is in beta. 6 is the best of the bunch if you have to use IE for real work IMO.

Chilbear

Well it was working just fine with V7 before the Java update 11 prior to Christmas and BAM. I did go down to U10 and so so as I said. Then I tried IE 8 with U10 - same so so and no better. Then I updated Java to U11 and no difference within IE 8. So it is probably a hard coded something on the connect to site. Shame those MS Java programmers. This a major newspaper with a major data feed. Oh well it was fun and we will stick to FF3 thank you very much. Funny - it must be a licensing issue that FF3 under Mac is not an "authorized" browser but under XP it is fine. Man o man Winblows sucks.

Joe

Quote from: Chilbear on January 14, 2009, 09:12:35 PMWell it was working just fine with V7 before the Java update 11 prior to Christmas and BAM. I did go down to U10 and so so as I said. Then I tried IE 8 with U10 - same so so and no better. Then I updated Java to U11 and no difference within IE 8. So it is probably a hard coded something on the connect to site. Shame those MS Java programmers. This a major newspaper with a major data feed. Oh well it was fun and we will stick to FF3 thank you very much. Funny - it must be a licensing issue that FF3 under Mac is not an "authorized" browser but under XP it is fine. Man o man Winblows sucks.

MS isn't allowed to do any Java per a court ruling a few years ago. You'll have to blame this all on Sun. :wink:

Laurens

I should have been more explicit in my initial message: you can have Java 5 and Java 6 installed in parallel but I don't think you can have 2 subversions installed at the same time.

I also should have been more careful: after talking to one of our tech engineers this morning, I have now learned that sometimes you cannot even have both systems installed at the same time. He had to uninstall Java 6 to get our Java 5 application back running.
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

Chilbear

No way - don't let Microsoft off the mat. Always blame Microsoft as they have taken our money and are yet to deliver the "final", "stable" product they claim to have sold us. Windows bashing is fun but fruitless. Alas Apple is a fruit is it not? Long live Steve. Get well soon.

Joe

Okay, we'll blame Microsoft for losing the court case to Sun.  :tongue: