News:

Main Menu

Paper Shortage

Started by Donomo, September 30, 2021, 10:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donomo

Up until the last couple of weeks things have been going gang busters here. Now all the work seems to have fallen of a cliff. Just had a conversation with our scheduling Director. He says there is currently the biggest paper supply shortage ever seen. The women in charge procurement is losing her mind, she's trying to beg, borrow & steal to get the paper we need. We are turning away work, other printers are calling us offering us work if we can get the paper. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Tracy

Yes, there are a bunch of ships at the Port at Long Beach
there are no workers to unload the ships, there may be other reasons also

born2print

Yes.
And yes other reasons for shortage, like mills pivoting to corrugated for Amazon boxes and such during shutdowns.
And yes, lack of workers AND truck drivers.
We'll get through this, but there will be pain.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Tracy

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Donomo on September 30, 2021, 10:28:53 AM
Up until the last couple of weeks things have been going gang busters here. Now all the work seems to have fallen of a cliff. Just had a conversation with our scheduling Director. He says there is currently the biggest paper supply shortage ever seen. The women in charge procurement is losing her mind, she's trying to beg, borrow & steal to get the paper we need. We are turning away work, other printers are calling us offering us work if we can get the paper. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Same up here in Canada.

born2print

I heard like 60, 3 or 4 is normal, but maybe that number was just LA and Longbeach, not the whole state
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Skryber

We can't get certain Konica toners, shirts and hoodies, and some stock. We've been pretty lucky so far, the toners are what we sell, not what we use. I hate that we do shirts so I laugh about that. And we've been able to find other comparable stock and substrates. I'm expecting it to go south though.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Tracy

yeah it's weird wondering what's going to happen next.
Chris' is in automotive, same thing low on computer chips.

Skryber

Ford called the bf and wanted to buy his truck back. Offered him a pretty penny but couldn't trade it bc they don't have anything. They only wanted it for the chip.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

I was thinking about an older "cheap" truck and I saw a 2014 Silverado at a local dealer. It was nice looking. 4 door. No rust. 145,000+ miles so I inquired about the price for an almost 8 year old truck with 145K+ miles on it. $33,500! I lost interest pretty quickly.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

My in-laws need a new car, and I wanted to get them a Civic sport 5-door hatchback. Went to the lot yesterday morning, and the entire lot, usually about 1,000 cars, had 2... both Pilots. They had about 5 used cars ad the ones in the showroom, and that was it. The Dodge dealer next door wasn't much better. I drove across the street to Toyota and they had about 2 dozen Rav4s and not much else. Mazda had a bunch of Miatas (or MX5s or whatever) and no other cars. I tried Kelly Blue Book and of the 6 or 7 Sac Metro Honda dealers, only 2 of them had new 21-22 Civics, so I requested quotes. The car I wanted should have had an MSRP of $21-23k but one of the dealers wanted $29k and the other $27k and neither was willing to negotiate the price. I got a quote on a used one from Enterprise, and they wanted $33k. I refuse to pay $33k for a used Civic.

I called my former coworker, who bought a 5door hatchback Corolla a month or two ago. She paid $28k, before tax, license, etc. The Corolla has an MSRP of $20k-22k. I did some research, and again got quotes of $27k-29k. I checked CarMax and Carvana and all the used Civics/Corollas/Camrys/Accords were going in the $27k + range.

Then I tried Costco. Thank God, because I was about to give up. They said Folsom Lake Toyota had a 5door Corolla hatch for $22k. I called the guy, and he said they had one coming in about 72 hours from the call. I negotiated an offer and got my Father-In-Law a $500 military discount, a $500 Toyota rebate and a final purchase price, after tax, license, etc. of $24,439.39. The guy texted me this morning and said the truck came in with the car on it, and I took my Mother-In-Law out to Folsom and we bought it... ended up getting an alarm system, and an extended warranty, but heavily discounted and now the car is maintenance/worry free for 8 years, 75,000 miles bumper-to-bumper and the check she wrote was a shade over $26k. Very, very happy to find the car we wanted and not overpay for it.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Foozball

Quote from: DigiCorn on October 01, 2021, 12:01:55 AM
Very, very happy to find the car we wanted and not overpay for it.
Damn, you are lucky! 
I have a friend with 30 years in car sales - as a manager, he's telling the new-ish sales people to lap up EVERY DAY of this, he's never seen anything before for such strong sales numbers!

Tracy

Chris had moved to used cars during pandemic, it's pretty crazy