Not an IT guy

Started by David, April 21, 2021, 02:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Possum on April 22, 2021, 02:27:22 PM
Another one....
Don't install the first version of a new system upgrade or app.

(Wait until they get the bugs out in the .2 version.)

Well that is no fun. I'm having a blast right now with the newly installed Windows Server 2019, Prinergy 9, Preps 9, and Insite 9.2.

:facepalm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

Quote from: Joe on April 22, 2021, 02:45:18 PM
Well that is no fun. I'm having a blast right now with the newly installed Windows Server 2019, Prinergy 9, Preps 9, and Insite 9.2.
:facepalm:
Uh oh... I hear that is on our radar soon-ish and I am a little queezy seeing :ohno:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

They promised a major speed boost with Prinergy. Not seeing it myself. Getting a message in Workshop that the update mechanism has failed you have to either restart workshop or manually refresh it to see new jobs or files come in.

VPS+ is a major disaster. Luckily we are still on Mojave and VPS+ won't run on it so we're still using the legacy version of VPS. I did install workshop on a Catalina Mac which can't run the legacy version. If you try to open all of your VPS fronts and back at the same time it loads all 8 separations, 4 from front and 4 from back, into the same viewing window so you are seeing a mess. You have to turn off the back CMYK to view the front. Then turn off the frontCMYK and turn the back CMYK on again to view the back. Or just open the front and then open the back. The regular VPS is almost identical in features to the legacy VBS. When you turn on the packaging mode though you have a LOT of extra features. We don't do packaging here so of no use to me.

Preps works. Looks as the same Preps 8 to me.

We've had some issues with Insite. Just had to restart the Insite server because Smart Review just died. More failed uploads than we had previously too. Seems like if customers have a slow connection Insite likes kill their uploads.

Windows Server 2019 looks exactly like Windows 10. I would swear it was just Windows 10 if I didn't know it was a server product. Fails when you try to do security updates. Kodak had to manually apply what was there last week.

And now throw my NAS woes into the mix and it is more fun than a barrel of monkeys around here. David is not the only one around here that is "Not an IT guy".

born2print

:puke:
So another painful downgrade with no real upside. Great. FW to the boss FWIW - thanks for the intel Joe  8)
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

DigiCorn

Quote from: david on April 21, 2021, 03:37:23 PM
host gator says it's network solutions, cause we use their named servers,
network solutions says it's google cause we have their MX records,
google says it's host gator...

thank you sir, can I have another?

:shoots_self: :drunk3: :hangme:
Sounds like the IT version of Human Centipede
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

michael.bialko

Hi Everyone,

My name is Michael Bialko and I'm the product manager for Prinergy. In reading this post and hearing your feedback I believe there is information you did not receive when upgrading to Prinergy 9.

So Prinergy 9 uses the latest Adobe APPE technology but a user needs to upgrade their JTP's in Prinergy UADM and turn on a setting in the render section of the process template to take advantage of the new technology. Prinergy 9 support Mac 10.15 and 11 Big Sur also. M1 Silicone support is coming soon too.

VPS+ is a multi year roll out for this product. We now support Front and Back like the legacy VPS in Prinergy 9.0.1 in beta as we speak. Windows performance upgrades are also happening. More improvements are happening as this was a total re-write of VPS. We also added a significant amount of new features. to VPS+ Big Sur is supported.

Preps 9 also support BigSur and contains performance improvements to make Preps faster.

We support Windows Server 2019 to give end users the security enhancements to keep you data safe.

Please email me and we can talk about all of these features and more to come.

Michael Bialko
michael.bialko@kodak.com

Possum

You don't need to be an IT guy. The bosses just need somebody to toss this stuff at with "make it work," and somebody to point the finger at when it doesn't work, usually the same person.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Quote from: michael.bialko on May 20, 2021, 12:58:12 PM
Hi Everyone,

My name is Michael Bialko and I'm the product manager for Prinergy. In reading this post and hearing your feedback I believe there is information you did not receive when upgrading to Prinergy 9.

So Prinergy 9 uses the latest Adobe APPE technology but a user needs to upgrade their JTP's in Prinergy UADM and turn on a setting in the render section of the process template to take advantage of the new technology. Prinergy 9 support Mac 10.15 and 11 Big Sur also. M1 Silicone support is coming soon too.

VPS+ is a multi year roll out for this product. We now support Front and Back like the legacy VPS in Prinergy 9.0.1 in beta as we speak. Windows performance upgrades are also happening. More improvements are happening as this was a total re-write of VPS. We also added a significant amount of new features. to VPS+ Big Sur is supported.

Preps 9 also support BigSur and contains performance improvements to make Preps faster.

We support Windows Server 2019 to give end users the security enhancements to keep you data safe.

Please email me and we can talk about all of these features and more to come.

Michael Bialko
michael.bialko@kodak.com

Hi Michael....obviously I don't have the version of VPS+ that shows the front/backs. But just comparing the view of the legacy VPS to the new VPS+ the rosette pattern of the VPS+ sticks out like a sore thumb? Why is that? See attached screen grabs.

Also as far as "a user needs to upgrade their JTP's in Prinergy UADM and turn on a setting in the render section of the process template"....the person that came in and did our install of Windows 2019 Server and Prinergy 9 he did convert the JTP's to 64 bit. Not sure about changing a setting in the render section of the PT. What is that setting called and what should it be since my JTP were upgraded?