Flash is dead, dead I tell you.

Started by Possum, May 04, 2021, 02:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Quote...and when you're done, you can celebrate by safely playing an emulated Flash game hosted at the always-wonderful Internet Archive.

Tip O the Day!

:lmao:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

scottrsimons

Just think of all the software that is actually still using Flash. So the people will be hanging onto Windows 8 & 7 forever! Just to run that one piece of software. Who cares about security. I can think of one for sure...USPS verification software that our Mailing department uses everyday. Hum, I wonder what we will be doing....
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

Eventually those computers will die. Many of our bindery and press equipment are using old hardware running old software but not necessarily flash. For example a bindery line had a hard drive that will no longer boot but I can access the drive that has Windows XP and my latest nightmare was getting a new IDE hard drive for it installing XP. Tip: Windows XP servers are no longer running so you can't activate it either online or via a phone call to Microsoft. I did find a registry hack around that but now I'm trying to copy the old software from the old hard drive to the new hard drive and make it run because we have no installer disks for that software. Still fighting that battle daily.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

scottrsimons

Joe, your horror story made me shudder in FEAR!!!  :shoots_self:
I will pray for you.
I think I still have some IDE drives laying around I could send you. Although I would need to clean them off first. Probably some as large as 20GB (maybe).

Joe

Not a fan of used hard drives. I have a few around at work but they were removed for a reason so I don't attempt to re-use them. Found a 40 GB IDE drive for $32.99 on newegg.com. XP installed and activated by the registry hack, Software folders copied. Try running said software and then you start getting errors for missing .ocx, and dll files. Once you find them on the old hard drive and then copy them to the proper location then you get the error that they are not registered in the system so you have to then start manually registering them. And then they still don't work because the software is missing registry settings in the Windows registry database. So then you have to try fixing those. So far I can now launch the bindery software and it runs but doesn't work because the Rockwell software that makes it work won't run so now I'm trying to ge the Rockwell software to run. How much of this sounds like prepress?

scottrsimons

Well from my job, it all sounds like Prepress to me. Well at least for me, not anyone else it Prepress.
And I'm not a fan of used HDs, I stay away from them like the plague. Just throwing it out there, in case you were that sort a desperate. I know, I've been a time or two.

Joe

It would actually help me if I couldn't find the IDE drive. Then they would be forced to do something better. Like buy a new PC with software that will run on a new pc. :rotf:

DigiCorn

IIRC, I remember a drive dying on our old Rampage machine and it was a SCSI hard drive. Took me a while, but I found one locally to replace and build the server with. There's actually a few places around town here that sell antiquated computer parts.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

We still have some "fast-wide" SCSI cables dangling from some network poles... so old I can't remember when we we using that. Also have a couple of DAT (and DLT!) drives that are SCSI but the data is so old I really could... or should just "terminate" it all (hahahah SCSI pun intended).
But I'm a packrat and unless it's 101% useless - I have trouble letting go. It's not hurting anything sitting there.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

DigiCorn

I literally have a bin of shiznit I will probably never use again... of brand new in-the-bag stuff... like IDE ribbon cables, phone line, firewire cables, a Palm Pilot, an .mp3 player, flash drives that are like 16mb, a tv tuner video card (with no supported drivers above XP), an external DVD burner with light-scribe, etc. But for some reason, I can't throw any of it away. I also, inexplicably, have an internal PCI-e card with 2 SATA ports on it... I can't remember the reason behind this purchase... I guess I must have had an issue one time where I needed to add more drives? But then removed the card for some reason... maybe upgraded the motherboard?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Skryber

My spare bedroom closet was my parts collector and it was filled balls to the wall. Last year I got rid of almost everything. Technology goes obsolete very quickly these days.
I met a guy who went nuts with nostalgia for my jellybean Mac. I ended up giving him that.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

My server room looks like a prepress museum. There are days I'd like to open the door and toss a hand grenade in there.

Skryber

Quote from: Joe on May 05, 2021, 11:36:14 AM
My server room looks like a prepress museum. There are days I'd like to open the door and toss a hand grenade in there.

You should!
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

Quote from: Skryber on May 05, 2021, 11:36:11 AM
My spare bedroom closet was my parts collector and it was filled balls to the wall. Last year I got rid of almost everything. Technology goes obsolete very quickly these days.
I met a guy who went nuts with nostalgia for my jellybean Mac. I ended up giving him that.

Color iMacs are the new cool. Newest model is 24" with the M1 chip. Fast and Furious. Preorder today!