Printing Guide

Started by Syphon, July 05, 2021, 08:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

During the last three months during my unemployment to freelance graphic designer (still working on getting clients), I have been redesigning off and on this printing guide from the old print shop (with my former boss permission) that we designed back in 2007. I am trying to update some of the ancient information in it as well as update the out-of-date images.

So I am working on a small section Preflighting which tells readers where they can find preflighting in various applications. I have InDesign and MS Publisher included, Pagemaker definitely has to go (can't believe anyone uses that anymore), and plan to add Affinity Publisher since it now has preflighting. My problem is I can't simply find anything pertaining to QuarkXPress preflighting except Markzware. I have not used QXP for I don't know how many years. Does QuarkXPress have a built in preflight feature like InDesign? If it does, can someone tell me where I can tell readers where to find it. Personally, I would just drop QXP from the list but I guess there are still QXP users out there.

Thank you to any one can help me with this.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

I don't have any recent version of Quark but as far as I know there is no built in Preflight function in any version of QuarkXpress.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Markzware used to make Preflight "FlightCheck," software that would collect from Quark, but I have heard that there is a function or Xtension that does this. It's under File-->Collect for Output. I guess it was in Quark 10, but as the service bureau, I didn't need it. https://support.quark.com/en/support/solutions/articles/19000056032-how-to-do-a-collect-for-output

The last version I used was 10 (X) back in 2014. FlightCheck is $199 for a lifetime license here: https://markzware.com/products/flightcheck/
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Syphon

I was able to download a pdf of the user guide for the lastest Quark (2021).
I guess there is some sort of preflight in QXP. Still going through the user guide.

BUT I was shocked to find that latest version can convert InDesign files to Quark!
But the catch is is that you need InDesign installed.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Just_A_Mac_Guy

Flightcheck software, IMHO, was always a convenience but you had to know how it worked, what it was checking and what it was reporting. Seems obvious but many grapohic design groups I follow are filled with threads that read "I'm new to this, Is there a script or plugin that will do the job I am being pay to do without learning anything?"

When I started at my last agency, the 2 people I would end up replacing told me that the red flags that showed in the report were just warnings and the printer would fix them... in a PDF X1A... and these were the prepress people.

Almost everything the preflight reports can be easily found in Indesign's Pallets if you know where to look. Preflight software is a big strainer that can catch a lot but knowledge is your best friend. It should be your best asset as this industry dumbs down...

slimtim301

Quote from: Just_A_Mac_Guy on July 06, 2021, 08:05:01 AM
Great info shared...

We're in the "One Click to fix it" generation.  I'm waiting for an app that'll turn me into a multimillionaire. LMK if someone finds it.  :lmao:

-TimJ

Joe

Quote from: slimtim301 on July 14, 2021, 07:30:35 AM
Quote from: Just_A_Mac_Guy on July 06, 2021, 08:05:01 AM
Great info shared...

We're in the "One Click to fix it" generation.  I'm waiting for an app that'll turn me into a multimillionaire. LMK if someone finds it.  :lmao:

-TimJ

Go back in time. Buy bitcoin early on.

wlz

OMG!   Never been use QuarkXpress.
Windows 10, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator,  Adobe Acrobat, Kodak Prinergy.

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Tracy

Aw! you totally missed out!!  :D

Joe

Quote from: Syphon on July 06, 2021, 08:03:58 AM
I was able to download a pdf of the user guide for the lastest Quark (2021).
I guess there is some sort of preflight in QXP. Still going through the user guide.

BUT I was shocked to find that latest version can convert InDesign files to Quark!
But the catch is is that you need InDesign installed.

The real catch is you end up with a Quark Xpress document. :puke: