News:

Main Menu

PDF->InDesign

Started by Slappy, April 28, 2020, 08:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Anybody have one of the utilities to convert PDFs to InDesign? Trying to package a really old job for a customer, and even though I have Document Fonts, Links there's only a hi-res PDF with crops in the job folder for some reason.
The Application creator was InDesign too, dunno where it went.

It's about 75MB PDF - if anybody is feeling generous/bored I'll send a transfer link. Thx!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigiCorn

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

delooch

im too cheap to splurge on the software, although i could probably use it quite a bit.  Most of my stuff is all single-sheet jobs so i just bastardize in Illustrator and paste into an indesgin file.

It does the job, no one here needs to know what goes on behind the curtain :)

David

Save the pdf as a word file then import the word doc into Indesign. Since you have all the links, you should be able to rebuild the file without too much trouble.

I have done this before, it's not too bad. I usually will place the original pdf on a layer in ID, then lock it. Bring the word file in on top (place it on another layer), then hack away to mack it look like the orig pdf. Once done, delete the layer with the pdf.

unless it's multi pages, then all bets are off.

good luck!
:drunk3:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

David has moved to the dark side!

:grimreaper:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

just so you know...
Illustrator is not a pdf editor...

LOL

Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

...but you could open the pdf in illy, and then cut and paste the vector items into ID and then use the word file explained earlier to import and reformat the text.

if you really wanted to...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Thx for the ideas but - FUCK THAT. I sent the hi-res Crops PDF out along with the Links and they can re-design it.

Far as I know, we didn't quote any additional work & they're rebranding and have their own designer now so it's good practice for 'em.

Skryber

Quote from: Slappy on May 01, 2020, 01:15:07 PM
Thx for the ideas but - FUCK THAT. I sent the hi-res Crops PDF out along with the Links and they can re-design it.

Far as I know, we didn't quote any additional work & they're rebranding and have their own designer now so it's good practice for 'em.

:lmao: Not so easily seduced.

:toaster: :toaster: :toaster: :toaster: :toaster: :toaster: :toaster: :toaster:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

David

Quote from: Slappy on May 01, 2020, 01:15:07 PM

they will prolly rebuild it in Word and send it back to you to polish.

Lucky dog!
:lmao:
Livin' la Vida Loca

delooch

Quote from: david on May 01, 2020, 01:02:35 PM
just so you know...
Illustrator is not a pdf editor...

LOL

:P yeah yeah yeah.  whatever gets the job done. when it gets to that stage its just a polished turd anyway :)