Problem with External WD 1TB HD

Started by Skryber, August 30, 2011, 09:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryber

The exFat formatted HD I have been using to store art is giving me trouble. I noticed yesterday that everything in my vector-animals folder is gone. That's the only thing missing, I believe. I tried to copy to and off it and it gave me an error. I tried to Verify Disk Permissions but it was grayed out. I took it home last night backed it up on my external at home. Most copied over except a few things that gave me this error: "Cannot copy "XXXX". Data error: Cyclic redundancy check." I brought it back to work and it won't mount on my mac. It shows up in Disk Utility and right now I'm running a repair. It's probably got about 600-700 GB used and it's been repairing for about 20 minutes right now. 1st, does anyone know about how long it should take to repair and also does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? Running OSX v 10.6.6.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

More than likely it is dying a slow death. It may never get done if that is the case.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Skryber

I feared that. Well, that's BS. Just bought the bitch at the end of March.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

Skryber

Yes sir.

Western Digital - WD Elements 1TB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive

Chilbear

Hopefully the repair will help it. One thing to think out is to make sure all externals are protected and plugged into a battery backup. I suspect the new external cases electronics are not like we are use to. It would be nice to also know it the HD is warm as it may indicate the case is overheating it.

I already have removed my 2TB drive from the case it came in and used one with a fan  plus Firewire rather than the no fan box it was in.

David

sorry to hear that Skryber, I had to send the WD external I bought back...

I bet you got it on sale, like I did.

the newer ones seem to be crap drives, my .02

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: Skryber on August 30, 2011, 10:03:29 AMYes sir.

Western Digital - WD Elements 1TB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive

Yep, they are notorious for that. I have pretty good luck with WD internal drives but try to stay away from their external drives. It's been my experience the drive is usually toast when you start getting the "Data error: Cyclic redundancy check." Not sure but WD may have a one year warranty. Chilbear is right about the fans. I've learned the hard way if I have an external with no fan to only turn it on when I need to use. Leaving it on all the time will shorten its life dramatically.

Skryber

Well, regardless if I this works, I'm going to get a new one to back up onto so I have 2 copies. I have backed up onto my mac HD before. Only the artwork which is probably around 80-90 gigs. My backup is only showing 60. :( But it's okay because I was able to back up what I had last night so I'm not at a big loss here. The rest is music and I've copied it so many times, if something happened to the 3 copies I have, I still have 5-6 people that have it also. What would you guys recommend for a new external? I'm only going to use it on this mac. I fear my troubles are from going back and forth with my pc which really isn't that often. Something affordable.

Yes, it was on sale. I think it was about $70-$80. I bought 2!

Joe

I prefer buying a good internal SATA drive (I prefer Seagate but you can get a bad one from any manufacturer) and a SATA case w/fan and firewire 800 port. Then install the drive in the case and you are good to go. Really easy to do also.

Skryber

I thought about getting a case and doing it that way. I have a 2 year warranty on this HD. Maybe I can take the cash and put it toward that.

Skryber

andyfest

We got burned several years ago, so now I set up 2 externals as a RAID using Disc Utility. We've had very good luck with LaCie drives, and I recommend the 1tB G2 Quadra series. They are a little more expensive, but have a fanless heatsink design that provides more cooling. We have been running a couple of sets problem-free for some time now. We do shut them off every night. All I did was re-format the drives to a Mac format, tied them in series using 800 firewire, used Disc Utility to RAID them and copied the backed up data to them. Once in a while I'll check the RAID status with Disc Utility. If it shows the RAID as degraded, we'll rebuild the degraded slice - it takes about 3 - 4 hours, but I've only had to do it once in the past two years.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Skryber

Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately, WD is going to send me another one of these drives. And of course I have to pay to ship this one back. :angry: I'll just use it to back up and not have it plugged in all the time.

gnubler

Quote from: Skryber on August 30, 2011, 10:44:50 AMnot have it plugged in all the time.

I started doing that after having 2 externals fail last year.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david