1 color job - 2 linescreens on 1 plate?

Started by DCurry, June 17, 2009, 08:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Is there a way to image 2 different linescreens on one plate using Prinergy? I don't have Dotshop, and this only comes up once a year so I won't be buying it.

Double-burning the plate is not an option, either, as they are positive plates. In the past (using a Brisque) I have simply made the 1-color job into a 2-color job and imaged each plate at the desired linescreen. I can still do that now, but I was wondering if there was a better way.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigitalCrapShoveler

What if you were to do it at the software level BEFORE Prinergy? For example, I haven't done it in a while, but in Freehand I could set a specific halftone dot on an image or graphic and it would hold, regardless of the output LPI.
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

Yeah, I remember looking into this years ago and that being an option, but I'm not sure I want to get Freehand involved. It's an Illustrator piece.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DCurry on June 17, 2009, 08:31:30 AMYeah, I remember looking into this years ago and that being an option, but I'm not sure I want to get Freehand involved. It's an Illustrator piece.

I wasn't saying that. I'll dig around and see if I can find you an alternate option. I just wanted to make sure you were open to it.
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

I could probably make a Photoshop 1-bit TIFF of the oddball screen pattern, then place it into Illustrator and colorize it. That way, no further screening is applied to that item.

Hmmm, yeah -- that's the ticket!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Further reading, it is IMPOSSIBLE to make a halftone in AI numerically. TO get a specific Halftone you will need a 3rd party plug-in like Phantasm. Or do it Old School like you are. I would use Freehand, but that's just me. Good luck Bro.
Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

I might not be understanding correctly but, can you output the 2 different plates at different line screens?

Tracy

nevermind i see you want it on the same plate :embarrassed:

Joe

After going over all of the Prinergy options for the past 6 months too many times to think about...I know this can be done in Prinergy because I remember them talking about it. I just can't remember if it was a standard option or an extra. But it sounds like your way will work fine anyway.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

I'm pretty confident that you need Dot Shop to do this. Last version of Prinergy that I used, v4, the screening information was ignored at the refining stage. So if that is still the case then the idea of using FreeHand would be out the door. It was a wonderful trick to use when we used to run level 2 and level 3 RIP's and send PostScript direct. The Brisque and PS/M's I used always ignored screening information that came down.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

DCurry

Actually, Matt, you can tell Prinergy 5 to honor application-set screens. I did a little test with Freehand and it worked as long as during the output to plate stage you edit the Process Template to do so. It's pretty cool -- you can have it honor frequency, dot shape and one other thing (can't remember) or any combination of the three.

Sadly, this particular job is not in Freehand and I don't really want to rebuild it in Freehand. My earlier idea of creating a 1-bit tif and masking it doesn't work either because the shape that needs to mask it is too complex and Illy won't do it.

One other method I tried was I output the final screened 1-bit tifs that normally get sent to the platesetter, but I simply redirected it to disc instead of to the platesetter. Then I opened each separation in Photoshop and combined them into 1, thereby incorporating both screens. Now I just need to figure out how to get Xpo to see it and output it to the Lotem.

PrepressN00b

I know for a fact that this can be done before it gets to the prinergy. I have set object based screening in artpro and export a PDF to prinergy, prinergy kept the information and output properly. Not sure what other apps are out there that you can do object based screening with.
Peter Kincaid
Hybrid Software

DigitalCrapShoveler

Dan, if you let me have the file, I will do some Freehand magic with it. Without seeing it, I can't tell you for certain, however, I am not the average user.

Up to you.
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 17, 2009, 08:39:43 PMDan, if you let me have the file, I will do some Freehand magic with it. Without seeing it, I can't tell you for certain, however, I am not the average user.

Up to you.

Thanks, DCS - I can get it to work in FH if I need to -- I also am not the average user!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DCurry on June 18, 2009, 06:17:03 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 17, 2009, 08:39:43 PMDan, if you let me have the file, I will do some Freehand magic with it. Without seeing it, I can't tell you for certain, however, I am not the average user.

Up to you.

Thanks, DCS - I can get it to work in FH if I need to -- I also am not the average user!

Hahahahahaha, excellent. Then, if you don't have time... I'm dead over here and going crazy!
Member #285 - Civilian