Archiving Prinergy Jobs

Started by SpicyVindaloo, May 27, 2017, 11:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMPrepress

Actually Joe I wanted to ask you about your tertiary server.

We have noticed some minor lag by having our Mac operators working straight out of the user defined folders on the Prinergy Primary.
Large Indesign files seem to lag a lot and some large PDFs also.
When we first got Prinergy we were working our jobs from another server the way we had for 10 years but it seemed crazy not to be working from the User defined folders on the Prinergy server so we moved and is really the way to go but I think we are possibly overloading the Prinergy server on occasion.
I did notice the option in the Prinergy Administrator/Network Config. settings to set another Volume as a possible host for the Job Home folder.  Is this how you do that?  Could I add any server I have to the that list and actually put the Job folder on that server?
Does this work as smoothly as having it on the Primary?
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

Joe

Quote from: RMPrepress on June 07, 2017, 07:36:06 AMActually Joe I wanted to ask you about your tertiary server.

We have noticed some minor lag by having our Mac operators working straight out of the user defined folders on the Prinergy Primary.
Large Indesign files seem to lag a lot and some large PDFs also.
When we first got Prinergy we were working our jobs from another server the way we had for 10 years but it seemed crazy not to be working from the User defined folders on the Prinergy server so we moved and is really the way to go but I think we are possibly overloading the Prinergy server on occasion.
I did notice the option in the Prinergy Administrator/Network Config. settings to set another Volume as a possible host for the Job Home folder.  Is this how you do that?  Could I add any server I have to the that list and actually put the Job folder on that server?
Does this work as smoothly as having it on the Primary?

Yes you can add any server share to that list however I don't recommend using it that way. We only did it that way because on our old server we had added drives to the built in RAID and Kodak said they could not be moved to the new server so at the time we didn't want to buy more new drives so we kept the Jobs on the old server instead of moving them to the new. The downside is that for Prinergy to do anything it is a doing it across the network which is slower than having Prinergy access them directly on the Primary built in RAID.

90% of our stuff comes in as PDF's via Insite so we don't use a lot of InDesign stuff for our commercial printing but we do some and haven't really noticed any more lag than work ing the files from other network shares. Our newspaper staff works all of their InDesign files from a NAS network drive and it seems about the same.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

RMPrepress

Thanks Joe... as always for the advice.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP