Licensing update issue

Started by frailer, May 09, 2017, 07:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

We have been frozen in time here... 10.6.8, have not updated CC apps for some time, partly through fear, partly laziness/old age.

We are, so the rumours suggest, about to be thrust into the current era. We both here tried launching Adobe Applications Manager; really just to say "Hi Adobe, we're still here, gonna be calling in some stuff soon on new machines...".

After a long progress interval, we get to an Admin prompt, and we then get to Error A12E1. Now on the Adobe forums, the only thing that seemingly provides an answer is to launch Activity Monitor, look for AAM Updates Notifier.app, cancel it there, then Quit Activity Monitor.

People on the adobe forums have tried this with varying success. Sometimes multiple times before it worked.

I suspect it's just trying to gather too much non-updated info, and is choking. So maybe self-inflicted to a degree.

Our licenses, which I assume the Adobe Secret Police have been monitoring on a daily basis, are valid.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or experience of same?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Try going here and downloading the Adobe Creative Cloud app: https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/desktop-app.html

See if you can install it. That is the app CC now uses. It may not run on 10.6.8 though. In fact I would be surprised if it does.

Adobe has a page dedicated to that error:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/a12e1-error-downloading-creative-cloud.html

Step 3 is basically what I said above.

Might be best to wait until you get a Mac that can run 10.11 or 10.12 though. How old are the Macs you are using?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

One of those 'troubled' 27" ones. They of the dodgy video cards, freezes, and dodgy logic boards. Y'know, like the ones you had.  :rotf:

Yeah, I think you're right, we've stood still and the train has disappeared into the distance. Trying to find our license code info; thought I had it. But we're 'bundled' with head office dezingers in the CC licensing, so renewal is managed from there.

Thanks for the links; I'll look.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: frailer on May 09, 2017, 09:11:30 PMOne of those 'troubled' 27" ones. They of the dodgy video cards, freezes, and dodgy logic boards. Y'know, like the ones you had.  :rotf:

Yeah, I think you're right, we've stood still and the train has disappeared into the distance. Trying to find our license code info; thought I had it. But we're 'bundled' with head office dezingers in the CC licensing, so renewal is managed from there.

Thanks for the links; I'll look.

Ahhhhhh...it has an i7 CPU so you should be able to install El Capitan (10.11) or Sierra (10.12). Might want to take the RAM up to 16 GB too (or 32 GB if it and your budget can take it). And if you can finagle getting an SSD in them it would really make them fly.

You really can't update to the latest CC 2017 while you are running 10.6.8 so you might want to update the OS before you mess with CC.

Farabomb

I'm willing to bet Joe is right about the OS. I can't get any programs anymore. Chrome is locked out, opera, safari, the last pitstop update, ect because of the ancient OS. We're stuck as we need preps 5 and that needs SL. I mean, it can be fixed like normal by throwing money at it but that's not gonna happen here.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

"throwing money at it" ... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Does money get thrown at stuff you don't need and won't use like at our place?
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

That's the printer's M.O.

Do you need it to improve production? Sorry, can't have it.

It is useless and will gather dust? Sure, we'll even tip the salesman.

"How come you're not using the new XXX we got for you?" Because it's useless and only causes a bottleneck. Well, be suer to mark every little thing down on your time sheet so we can give it away later because we're jackasses.

Don't worry, we'll lay you off later after the busy season and screwing you out of all your OT.

Then call you back again the next time we get swamped with work.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

All your Adobe CS licenses should be stored on Adobes website if you have an account (not a CC account). I can go back and look at all the licenses back to CS4 when I log in to the Adobe website. It was a feature I liked because it was a pain to keep track of licenses as you really only looked at it once when you installed and once when you did an update and it wanted to previous licenses.

frailer

Things are afoot re the across-the-board upgrade. Given the work we do, it's verging on negligent to be this far behind, and it's a minor miracle we're still running/proofing/plating.

Thought my luck had run out this morning though. This upgrade, (including 'setter), is a few weeks away, AFAICT, but this morning my Gen_1 27" iMac just went blank/dead, rather than screen-freeze, which is 'normal'.
I pulled the power lead out, and waited about 20 minutes until I could touch the back of it without burning my hand :sarcasm: and it's now going again.

I shall forthwith no longer run *any* video on it. Seems to over-tax the dodgy graphics card. It was in the middle of a GooMaps streetview click'n'leap. :embarrassed:

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

On the plus side you can flip it face down and cook breakfast on the back of it.

frailer

Sunny side up.

Truly, I thought my time had come, about 2 hours ago.

andyfest

I have a late-2010 iMac toaster as well. The optical drive burnt out after two years use so I use an external when needed, and I have replaced the HDD already probably due to heat as well. I now have Macs Fan Control installed and keep the fans running at a steady 2500 rpm to try and keep this toaster a little cooler.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Quote from: andyfest on May 11, 2017, 05:38:19 AMI have a late-2010 iMac toaster as well. The optical drive burnt out after two years use so I use an external when needed, and I have replaced the HDD already probably due to heat as well. I now have Macs Fan Control installed and keep the fans running at a steady 2500 rpm to try and keep this toaster a little cooler.

I did that on my 2012 iMac toaster before Apple replaced it. Burnt the fans right up in no time.

:facepalm:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on May 10, 2017, 10:05:39 PMSunny side up.

Truly, I thought my time had come, about 2 hours ago.

I made a comment a couple of days ago about those having an i7 CPU so they should be good to go with your upgrades. I forgot about the heat issues. I'd try to get new ones. There is almost no heat at all on the back of them. Then sell those used iMacs to some sucker designer that doesn't know any better before they go tits up.