Windows 7/8 can upgrade to 10 for free

Started by Made in Taiwan, June 04, 2015, 10:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Made in Taiwan

I guess, most of the Windows users here have noticed it already, since there is a notification icon popping up in the task bar, but just in case, you didn't notice: If you register now, you can upgrade your existing Win 7/8 system to Win 10 as soon as it is available. And that for free.

Link
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Joe

Windows 7 has to be running Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8 has to running Windows 8.1 to qualify.

And yes, FREE as long as you do it in the one year window (July 29, 2015 - July 29, 2016)...

And you can get the free upgrade even if your copy of Windows is not "genuine".

I've noticed also on my Mac at work and at home running Windows 7 SP 1 in a VM you don't get the upgrade notice. I understand if you are running Windows 7 SP 1/8.1 in a VM it does not qualify for the free upgrade.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Hmmm, wonder if I can dual boot, clone my old win7 onto that and then upgrade. I don't like not having something I can fall back on in case it doesn't work correctly.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on June 05, 2015, 09:00:20 AMHmmm, wonder if I can dual boot, clone my old win7 onto that and then upgrade. I don't like not having something I can fall back on in case it doesn't work correctly.

You mean dual boot on a PC or Mac? I think if you clone the drive Win 7 is on, when you boot from the clone it will require activation. I've done it before and it activated but it isn't guaranteed to.

Farabomb

On my old HP laptop. I may have to reinstall anyway as it's gone a bit freaky the last few days.

Activation shouldn't be much of an issue. I just want something to roll back to if needed.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Made in Taiwan

My old Sony is the same. Got a little bit laggy these days, so I need to set it up new anyway. I'll give Windows 10 a shot, too. Most important thing is to backup all the files before upgrading.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Farabomb

Turns out the laptop issue was the crap $5 amazon power adapter. It would keep cycling from charge to battery so the screen would keep changing brightness.

I stepped up to the $9 amazon power adapter. Hopefully it will last longer than a year.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

almaink

My take on the free part was it was free for a year and you will have to pay for it if you need to do a reinstall after that one year. They almost make it sound like it will no longer function after a years time unless you pay, like a free rental for a year. I for one will stick with Windows 7 as long as I can.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

DHG

Quote from: almaink on June 09, 2015, 06:38:53 AMMy take on the free part was it was free for a year and you will have to pay for it if you need to do a reinstall after that one year. They almost make it sound like it will no longer function after a years time unless you pay, like a free rental for a year. I for one will stick with Windows 7 as long as I can.

That is the way I understand it as well.

Joe

I think what they actually have in mind is to make you a monthly subscriber in the future in order to get updates. I am pretty sure the first version won't quit working after one year though. You just may not get updates/upgrades unless you start paying.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

jannatul18

Jannatul
Hobbyist photographer |graphic designer|
clipping path service expert

frailer

Quote from: Farabomb on June 08, 2015, 06:33:35 AMTurns out the laptop issue was the crap $5 amazon power adapter. It would keep cycling from charge to battery so the screen would keep changing brightness.

I stepped up to the $9 amazon power adapter. Hopefully it will last longer than a year.
A waiter in Kalispell, Montana, when briefly over there in '97, suggested that the $20 bottle of wine we were ordering was a bit 'spendy'.  ;D  Never heard the expression before, obviously American.

It applies to you now, it seems, Fbomb.   :hello:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

Happily, it works and hasn't burned my house down yet.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job