Linked Word Doc font issues

Started by DHG, May 06, 2020, 08:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHG

Was provided an ID file with multiple word docs placed as links. All of them are modified when I open the ID file. When I update them, they seem to be holding onto the font from word instead of the font it was set to in ID. For example, before I update them in ID, says the font is Avenir Next. When I update them, the type defaults to Calibri, which is the font used in the Word document. Is there a preference on my end that I need turned on or off?

pspdfppdfxhd

No advice, but a comment.

A linked word file? Oh shit, that's scary.

:shocked:

Skryber

I didn't even know it was possible to link a Word file. Seems they're always finding some new way to f$#k things up.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Skryber

You tried changing the font in Word to the one you want to use?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DHG

It's 178 pages so it would be a lot of manual work. They had several people collaborating on the text, thus the multiple Word docs. Poking around, I found my answer from Adobe:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/linking-microsoft-word-and-indesign-tracking-the-changes/td-p/8909091?page=1

"You can change your preferences to create links when placing text and spreadsheet files, but after an update you will lose your formatting. (Then only exception to this is if you use styles in Word that match the style names in InDesign.)"

Ugh, so this should be fun   :facepalm:

They did provide a PDF, no bleed of course, so I am going to try and utilize as much of that as I can.

Joe

When importing check the box for "Show Import Options" shown in first screen grab. When that dialog opens select the two items circled in the second screen grab.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

You can link Indesign files into Indesign files as well, that's a treat to deal with sometimes

DHG

Quote from: Joe on May 06, 2020, 09:26:53 AM
When importing check the box for "Show Import Options" shown in first screen grab. When that dialog opens select the two items circled in the second screen grab.

Thanks, Joe, but I'm not importing them. They have already been imported by the designer. My issue is they have been modified and when I update the link, all the formatting is lost.

DHG

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on May 06, 2020, 09:38:53 AM
You can link Indesign files into Indesign files as well, that's a treat to deal with sometimes

Ya, that's always fun.  :sarcasm:

Joe

Quote from: DHG on May 06, 2020, 09:47:09 AM
Quote from: Joe on May 06, 2020, 09:26:53 AM

Thanks, Joe, but I'm not importing them. They have already been imported by the designer. My issue is they have been modified and when I update the link, all the formatting is lost.

I would think if they were originally imported using those settings that the setting would hold when later updated. Not 100% sure it would but it seems logical.

David

I have found that if you uncheck the "show import options" it will bring it in the same way it was placed, sometimes...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Quote from: david on May 06, 2020, 10:09:14 AM
I have found that if you uncheck the "show import options" it will bring it in the same way it was placed, sometimes...
Amen, sometimes I need that control... yet sometimes it makes things more difficult / screws stuff up.
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

Joe

I noticed when I import a .doc file into InDesign 2020 it is not linked. How do you make it be a linked file?

DHG

Quote from: Joe on May 06, 2020, 10:43:41 AM
I noticed when I import a .doc file into InDesign 2020 it is not linked. How do you make it be a linked file?

In Preferences/File Handling

DHG

So, it gets better. Started noticing the text in the ID file and PDF they sent didn't jive with the Word docs. The linked Word docs were not the correct files. I pushed back on the designer. She unlinked the Word files and problem solved.