Printing KILLS

Started by gnubler, November 29, 2007, 12:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

The safety buttons were bypassed, apparently. I just ran back to ask the bindery guy I had heard this from. I always want to catch him in a lie, but evidently, this is a famous to-do, and more than 1 bindery guy confirms this.
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 11, 2008, 08:40:30 AMThe safety buttons were bypassed, apparently. I just ran back to ask the bindery guy I had heard this from. I always want to catch him in a lie, but evidently, this is a famous to-do, and more than 1 bindery guy confirms this.
I was a bindery guy for 12 years. Sounds fishy, catch him in a lie. Find out what kind of cutter it was and how old. All the cutters I've operated never allowed you to bypass its safety requirement of holding down both buttons at the same time to drop the blade, even the computer driven cutters.
Now if the operator rigged something, well that's possible I suppose. Also, to cleanly cut your fingers off, the clamp was never engaged unless one was to bring the clamp down on top of your fingers too! What an idiot if this was the case.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Okay, I went back and asked him the details...

This guy that died worked for a mom and pop shop back in the early 80s. He was being trained to operate the cutter. Evidently, the cutter, (my guy doesn't know the model) was jury-rigged with a bar to hit both buttons with a knee. The cellphone and the walkman were obviously added later to spice the story up, like it needs it, but I did go ask a a different guy in our bindery that has been around forever, and he gave me the lowdown, so yes it is true.
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 11, 2008, 10:07:44 AMOkay, I went back and asked him the details...

This guy that died worked for a mom and pop shop back in the early 80s. He was being trained to operate the cutter. Evidently, the cutter, (my guy doesn't know the model) was jury-rigged with a bar to hit both buttons with a knee. The cellphone and the walkman were obviously added later to spice the story up, like it needs it, but I did go ask a a different guy in our bindery that has been around forever, and he gave me the lowdown, so yes it is true.
Rigged, makes sense. I tell you, it sounds like one hell of a lawsuit! If it was my family member killed from a rigged cutter, I'd put them out of business in a hurry!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Apparently, this kid was the son of the owner of the shop. Double-idiot.
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 11, 2008, 10:26:38 AMApparently, this kid was the son of the owner of the shop. Double-idiot.
At least he'll save on his health insurance.  :laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

You're a sick man Charlie Brown.
Member #285 - Civilian