Kodak Sword Plates printing Staccato... good?? Bad???

Started by Aaron, February 07, 2008, 09:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

So as we search for a new workflow, Fuji tells us we would be very dis-satisfied with Kodak Sword plates and printing in staccato. We use a Fuji plate now and haven't tested any Kodak plates yet. Anyone out there using the Sword plate and having success printing in Staccato? I hear they can be inconsistant with FM screening. Is that true??
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

mc hristel

At the last place I worked we used the Sword plates exclusively.  They were really touchy.  The chemistry needed to be "just right", and we never got plates to last as long as Kodak claimed.  True, the chemistry on press had a lot to do with that, but it was a lot of work to get consistent plate results.  From what I remember, they are Kodak's standard for long run heat set plates and they did work fine for Staccato which was about 90% of what we were printing.

Bottom line though, if you have other options, I would check them out first.

Joe

Negative process plates. (Images everything off the plate but the image) You have to be careful of dust and clogged vacuum lines or you'll get hot spots. Other than that they are great. Processor maintenance and cleaning is a breeze. Hold up well on press. Can't comment on staccato as we don't use it but here is a link to a brochure PDF. Pg. 2 of it has some staccato screening info.

Kodak Sword Excel thermal plates
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Aaron

Thanks for the info guys. I've heard good results printing in AM screening. But FM I hear is real touch. Like you said, mc_hristel, the chemistry has to be perfect and then on press tends to be touchy.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

tapdn

We have just switched to thermal plates (not Kodak) and so far I am delighted. Hot spots could become a problem if the cylinder not kept clean on the imagesetter true.
Been using FM screening for awhile now and would never go back. Very consistant IMO.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Marktonk

Heads up, there are two different grained Sword plates, here is a link on the Ultra Grain version  FAQ and a paste from it on Ultra Grain and FM:

http://www.graphics1.kodak.com/us/consumables/plates/digital_offset_thermal/faq

Question:
Will run length be affected with this new grain change?

Answer:
Through extensive product testing in various customer locations we have experienced some run length issues with the (new) Ultra Grain version of SWORD EXCEL plates. These issues have been isolated in long run web applications and/or 20 micron stochastic printing on sheet-fed presses. In these cases the standard version of SWORD EXCEL plates should remain the product of choice.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA