LumaPix Yearbook software

Started by gnubler, May 20, 2010, 03:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youston

Quote from: Joe on May 20, 2010, 09:28:44 PMWhat kind of database is it? Are the images actually stored in the database?

I usually get a folder of images, and a database that contains the name of the file for each individual record. You just have to append that file name with the network path, or point your vdp software at the folder that contains the images, and any decent vdp software should be able to retrieve the image and place it on the page. Depending upon what you're using, it might be tricky to have the software impose multiple records on the same page, but you can manage it with a combination of tweaking the structure of the db and some programming on the vdp side.

Prolly set the layout up as a table, and have the records inserted that way, too.

youston

Quote from: gnubler on May 20, 2010, 09:36:19 PM
Quote from: Joe on May 20, 2010, 09:28:44 PMWhat kind of database is it? Are the images actually stored in the database?

No idea. It's all speculative. I was presented with the scenario that a photographer would go to a school and take pictures of all the students and then...I don't know what. How would a batch of images from a digital cam be matched with a database list of the student names? This is what I was asked and I didn't have an answer. Not sure who would be responsible for what.

The photographer would have to be responsible for providing you with a list of names and the file names that correlate to them.

Joe

I will defer to the db guy...youston. whatever he says...I agree with. As far as databases go anyway. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

This potential project came back into the picture today.  I've dissuaded the possibility of using any sort of the aforementioned yearbook software for all the bad reasons.

The project we might get is a directory for an organization. Apparently, about a year ago a photographer took mugshots of over 1,000 members of this org and nothing's progressed, so the org is ready to just hand over all the images to us to start getting the directory set up. They want a yearbook style with each person's mug and their name below. The photographer had started somehow linking each image with the correct name, but somewhere along the line *something* happened and the list is off.

My suggestions:

1. I set up the entire layout in Indy, save as PDF, create form fields in the PDF where the org can just type in each name under the picture. PDF comes back and is more or less press ready.

2. Same deal, but set it up in Word.

3. Publisher. :holdme:

What do the Masters think?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

I was looking at a few yearbook software sites and saw this:

QuoteCustom design layouts, templates, and clip arts to help reduce potential layout erros

Someone call the cops, please.

gnubler

And this:

QuotePSPA is more of a standard for exchanging digital photographs for school
photography processing. PSPA defines a set of criteria for
sorting/storing images as well as the image content itself to a certain
degree.

Matt Beals
Consultant
Enfocus Certified Trainer
Markzware Recognized Trainer
(425) 582-8554 - Office
(206) 201-2320 - Voicemail
(206) 618-2537 - Mobile
mailto:matt@mattbeals.com

Come visit me at:
http://www.automatetheworkflow.com
http://www.mattbeals.com
http://blog.mattbeals.com

Friends don't let friends write HTML email

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/33412592/does-publisher-support-th.aspx

Joe

I've never been a fan of using form fields for print material. :puke2:

So they no longer have the list linked to image? If not it's not going to be much fun.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on June 29, 2010, 11:51:27 AMI've never been a fan of using form fields for print material. :puke2:

No? I will have to do some experimenting. I mean, if the peoples' names are just in 8 or 10pt Helvetica or Arial under their picture it *should* be fine, shouldn't it?

Please detail your lack of love.

Joe

They might work better now with the current crop of workflows. I haven't dealt with any in about two years but we used to get ads that had form fields that the ad agency would change dates, coupon codes, etc. Back then we were still using Nexus and any PDF that had form fields with text in them would get rejected by Nexus. I always had to delete the form fields, place the PDF in Indy and reset the type. It very well could be better now but it turned me against form fields in print PDF's for life.

gnubler

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to create a test file and send it to my RIP, see what happens. I'll put your name in one of the form fields for good luck. :kiss:

Joe

Careful now, that could destroy a RIP.

gnubler

Speaking of your name, I was going through a job folder here and found a biz card with your name on it. I didn't know you were an opthamologist on the side. I would think that would be more profitable than prepress...you must just love the craft. :laugh:

Joe

I do get stuff addressed as Dr. every now and then. But no one is paying me for it.

David

hmmm, Dr. Joe...

has a nice ring to it, could be a new tv series
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca