News:

Main Menu

edit image

Started by beermonster, June 08, 2009, 05:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beermonster

hi all you experts :grin:

i got this pdf spot colours - it's been placed in a layout as part of the final product

in the pdf is an image - thing is the image has a yellow channel which i need to delete - so touch up tool and edit yeah - simples.

so why does photoshop not open it saying cannot complete request as colour was specified using an unsupported colour space

hell its just three pms and the rogue yellow - sup with that :huh: :banghead:

what am i doing wrong? need to keep spot colours - just need to delete all the info on the yellow chanel - job done
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

David

I get this one a lot of times on these crap ass b&w pdf file that are RGB. I have been able to use pitstop to change the color space on the few images and then I could open them in Photoshop. Strange thing tho, this only works sometimes.

here's a link to PP where Matt and Leonard discuss this issue:

http://printplanet.com/forums/enfocus/16504-indexed-color-spaces
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

beermonster

right - so it's indexed since there are fewer than the required 256 specific unique colors in it (it has 3 spots and process yellow - i need to get rid of the yellow)

and it seems since its indexed and now using a LUT instead for colour information that i cannot now use the touch-up tool

in other words - "adobe" DECIDED to index this image when the operator exported the pdf - and now I cant use ADOBE"S own editing tools to edit what ADOBE decided to do - FOR ME.

well thats a plain hum dinger aint it :undecided:

round of applause for another great adobe feature.......

beermonster

oh and cheers david - i learnt WHY i cant edit it now :laugh:

i dont have pitstop, and oris pdf tuner didnt want to know either - i'm done :banghead:

determined

If you don't have any type on that page (or you don't care if it rasterizes), you can just open the pdf page in photoshop and do what you need to....otherwise, you can try changing your image editor to illustrator in your preferences, touchup object tool to open the image in illustrator, do a copy/paste into photoshop, edit, save, relink in illustrator and save it (so it comes back into acrobat, finally)...or you can just say screw it    :laugh:

if you attempt this, be warned that you'll probably have to convert it and do more to it than just removing the yellow to get what you need from it because, unfortunately, it won't paste into photoshop with spot channels 

or can you modify it after it rips? might be easier....
Murphy must have been in printing....

Aaron

Just wondering, if you don't want the data that's in the yelo channel, why not just don't output that separation? I run into that every once in a while and I just set that separation to "do not output" and it's like it was never there... erased...from existence...

Not sure what RIP you are working with though and if that's possible.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

David

did you try this trick?

QuoteOne method that I discovered to force the images BACK into a Non indexed color space was to open the PDF file up in Acrobat, then under the File menu, select the "Reduce File size..." menu item, and when the "Reduce File Size" Dialog box is revealed, in the drop down menu to the right of "Make compatible with:" -- select "Acrobat 4 and later" - the images are no longer indexed and the image open in Adobe Photoshop CS2 (which is what I use)
Livin' la Vida Loca

ratintrap

Quote from: david on June 08, 2009, 10:36:06 AMdid you try this trick?

QuoteOne method that I discovered to force the images BACK into a Non indexed color space was to open the PDF file up in Acrobat, then under the File menu, select the "Reduce File size..." menu item, and when the "Reduce File Size" Dialog box is revealed, in the drop down menu to the right of "Make compatible with:" -- select "Acrobat 4 and later" - the images are no longer indexed and the image open in Adobe Photoshop CS2 (which is what I use)

Ooh, Ah. :cool:

determined

sounds alot easier than mine...

except I tried it and couldn't get it to work on the file I've got...  :huh:

there HAS GOT TO BE A WAY....  :banghead:

Joe

Doesn't that res the images down to like 72 dpi?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

determined

Quote from: Joe on June 08, 2009, 11:10:28 AM

Doesn't that res the images down to like 72 dpi?

150 in my file (was 300)

Joe

Oh, okay. I was almost sure it res'd it down.

determined

something else I found (without using pitstop, cause that's the catch here)....if you right click on the image, you get a pull-out menu, if you go to properties, color tab, you can convert it to something else and then it will open in photoshop using the touchup object tool...unfortunately, again, all the ones I've tried have opened it in CMYK...but if you were to edit it and do a save as (don't let it go back into acrobat with a save) you can also do a "place image" (again with a right click)

Joe

Quote from: determined on June 08, 2009, 11:27:28 AMsomething else I found (without using pitstop, cause that's the catch here)....if you right click on the image, you get a pull-out menu, if you go to properties, color tab, you can convert it to something else and then it will open in photoshop using the touchup object tool...unfortunately, again, all the ones I've tried have opened it in CMYK...but if you were to edit it and do a save as (don't let it go back into acrobat with a save) you can also do a "place image" (again with a right click)

That probably is because Acrobat is converting it to CMYK when you do the conversion and I think that is a deal breaker. I think he wants to keep his spots.

David

well, I tried that trick I posted on a pdf of mine. It did not reduce the res, but I still can't open the image in PS with the touch up tool.

so, I'm sorry I lead you astray with bogus help.

:cry:

I'm still working on it and I'll post back If I can find anything that even remotely works.
Livin' la Vida Loca