News:

Main Menu

Joomla

Started by Joe, October 26, 2011, 04:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on October 26, 2011, 04:05:19 PMWhat versions are you using?

I have Acro 9 Pro and PDFlib 4.3p1

My block edit screen looks diff. :death: I've been screwing with this on and off ALL DAY.

Take a break and fire up Joomla. :death: That is my happy place right now.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2011, 04:13:03 PM
Quote from: gnubler on October 26, 2011, 04:05:19 PMWhat versions are you using?

My block edit screen looks diff. :death: I've been screwing with this on and off ALL DAY.

Quiet you, I'm reading joomla for dummies right now so I can fix this webstain we have.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Webstain, heheheh.

Actually, all in all Joomla is a pretty sweet setup. Once I learned how CMS sites work I knew I would never go back to hand-coding a static site unless it was only 2 or 3 pages.

Nevertheless, prepare to get enraged! :death:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

I have played with it before but it was an already set up site. I have a bottle of klonopin here so I should be good. Be prepared for questions later in the day.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on October 27, 2011, 07:25:07 AM
Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2011, 04:13:03 PM

Quiet you, I'm reading joomla for dummies right now so I can fix this webstain we have.

I'm currently doing our newspaper web site in Joomla 1.7.2 and as gnubler said, it is a nice piece of software but there are plenty of oddities. Especially when you start dealing with 3rd party themes and extensions. My rage a couple of days ago was a 10px white margin on each side of the site header and I finally found the code buried in some "special" css files. :death:

gnubler

Once you start adding plugins and extensions the joy begins because you are guaranteed problems. A barebones Joomla site is fairly easy to install and operate (except for those little surprises like Joe found)

I still haven't upgraded from 1.5. I'm afraid.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

My little surprise was from a 3rd party free theme. You get what you pay for.

Farabomb

I started with 1.5 and am slowly getting the basic idea of it. Doing it in between making plates and shit is making it a bit difficult but I'm getting it done.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

I told my bosses I cannot do prepress and work on websites concurrently...way too dangerous if working on live sites.

So now they block off afternoons for "web only" work. I treasure those afternoons with all my heart.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on October 27, 2011, 11:38:35 AMI started with 1.5 and am slowly getting the basic idea of it. Doing it in between making plates and shit is making it a bit difficult but I'm getting it done.

I'll split these comments off into a Joomla thread in a minute so as not to take away from PDFLib but...

I started the site in 1.5 but it's end of life is less than a year away so I tried to convert what I had to 1.7. Disaster ensued so I started off fresh with 1.7. I'm liking it better than 1.5.

Farabomb

Well you just convinced me to delete 1.5 and load 1.7. No reason to do all of it and just have to do it again. When installing it with host gator should I use something after the / or just leave it?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

I'm afraid of 1.5 templates and extensions not playing nice with 1.7. Don't dare touch it.

gnubler

Quote from: Farabomb on October 27, 2011, 12:01:49 PMWell you just convinced me to delete 1.5 and load 1.7. No reason to do all of it and just have to do it again. When installing it with host gator should I use something after the / or just leave it?

If you're building a site I would put it in a subfolder and hide it from search engines (use robots.txt file to disallow all bots)

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on October 27, 2011, 12:04:11 PMI'm afraid of 1.5 templates and extensions not playing nice with 1.7. Don't dare touch it.

You are correct. They will not play at all...nice or otherwise.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on October 27, 2011, 12:01:49 PMWell you just convinced me to delete 1.5 and load 1.7. No reason to do all of it and just have to do it again. When installing it with host gator should I use something after the / or just leave it?

Everything should be in the public_html folder.