You could go with this. Or you could go with that.

Started by DigiCorn, October 14, 2019, 11:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Which would you prefer as a production machine:

choice a) iMac 27" 16GB RAM 2.66 i5 Late 2009

choice b) refurb Trash Can Mac of unknown specs

getting a brand new cheese grater in NOT an option
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

I just looked at the specs, and even the entry level trash can has way more processing power than the iMac. The immediate issues for today, however, is that the trash can has NONE of the software or drivers installed that I need on a daily basis, and the iMac is ready to go for production. I literally have access to both machines, but am working on Windows 10 right now because we're very busy and I have no down time to make the switch. Also, I only have one HDMI cable/input and I can really use a 2nd screen, but have no lightning adapter.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

jwheeler

I always like reading your posts...kinda like you're talking to yourself dealing with the frustrations of your shop.  :D

Possum

Should anything you have to plug into your computer also be an issue? Ports and such?
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Well the 2009 iMac is pretty old and outdated so I would go with the trash can. Of course if the trash can is also 10 years old it may be a wash but you said the trash can has "way more processing power".
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

Quote from: Joe on October 14, 2019, 01:12:50 PM
Well the 2009 iMac is pretty old and outdated so I would go with the trash can. Of course if the trash can is also 10 years old it may be a wash but you said the trash can has "way more processing power".
I believe Apple prefers "iCan"  :tongue:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Tracy

sheesh a computer with Trash right in the name, hmmm

scottrsimons

I have good memories of the tissue box mac. A lot better than a trash can.  :banana:
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

DigiCorn

I call this place the Little Shop of Horrors.

Before I can get the trash can online as my main production machine, replacing my Windows 10 box, I have to integrate it with all the various digital presses, copiers, printers and the RIPit platesetter. This basically means tracking down decrepit drivers from an era long ago. It's sort of a history lesson in print... we still shoot and use paper plates, for God's sake.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I recently had to drag out a Windows 2000 server from the recycle pile to install drivers on it for a decrepit Canon copier that they dragged in here from someone else's trash heap. They were shocked when we got it to print and it look really crappy. Why else do you suppose the other place put it on the trash heap????
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

Quote from: DigiCorn on October 18, 2019, 01:44:56 PM
I call this place the Little Shop of Horrors.

Before I can get the trash can online as my main production machine, replacing my Windows 10 box, I have to integrate it with all the various digital presses, copiers, printers and the RIPit platesetter. This basically means tracking down decrepit drivers from an era long ago. It's sort of a history lesson in print... we still shoot and use paper plates, for God's sake.

That's what the little preppies who comes in here with artwork don't understand when we ask them to backsave something. Sure I could update my Adobe stuff, but then we'd have to buy at least one new machine, and I don't know if all the other stuff I run would work.

DigiCorn

Looks like I am going to go "live" with the trash can tomorrow! I just have 2 bugs left to work out... getting Suitcase Fusion properly installed and upgraded and getting it to be able to send files to the Nuvera.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Possum

DigiCorn

fixed both issues! Just need my thunderbolt plug, which arrives tomorrow
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

frailer

Quote from: Joe on October 18, 2019, 02:47:15 PM
I recently had to drag out a Windows 2000 server from the recycle pile to install drivers on it for a decrepit Canon copier that they dragged in here from someone else's trash heap. They were shocked when we got it to print and it look really crappy. Why else do you suppose the other place put it on the trash heap????

I just shake my head at some of your stories from deepest Southern IL.   :rotf:  What... possesses them to want to do stuff like this? But you just luuurv a challenge, right?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.