HP 510 driven by Prinergy directly?

Started by t-pat, May 31, 2012, 09:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

So we're trying to get this new printer driven by Prinergy and it prints weird garbage. Anyone have any tips for driving this HP 510 directly via Prinergy? It takes HP RTL. Should be able to set it up as a windows printer and print to it from Prinergy, in theory. That's how we're driving a couple Xeroxes.

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

we have a HP 5000 that prints as RTL from Esko.
Ours needed a RIP to print to it.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

Quote from: david on May 31, 2012, 09:53:20 AMwe have a HP 5000 that prints as RTL from Esko.
Ours needed a RIP to print to it.

trying to avoid a rip, it will be used for draft mode mockups, just a replacement for our dying spinjet. Spinjet is currently driven by the spinjet rip which is pretty much the suck.
I guess we might be able to drive it off EFI but not sure of the licensing situation.
vdp donkey

David

We use EFI (Esko to PDF to EFI) to one of our Epson printers.  It's a RIP, so I would think if your Prinergy will see it, you should be able to "print" to it.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

Quote from: david on May 31, 2012, 11:00:36 AMWe use EFI (Esko to PDF to EFI) to one of our Epson printers.  It's a RIP, so I would think if your Prinergy will see it, you should be able to "print" to it.

Prinergy "sees" it as a windows printer, and "prints" (garbage) to it. I think. Bossman asked that I ask here, to see if other users have a similar setup and how they're doing it. Sort of specific to Prinergy and HP printers.
vdp donkey

Joe

I get the same thing on HP LaserJets if the printer is setup as PCL. The only way I can get it to work from Prinergy is to setup the printer as a postscript printer. Might be the same issue with the HP RTL. Or if it will work from Prinergy you probably need to buy an $8,000 text file as a license option.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on May 31, 2012, 11:47:40 AMI get the same thing on HP LaserJets if the printer is setup as PCL. The only way I can get it to work from Prinergy is to setup the printer as a postscript printer. Might be the same issue with the HP RTL. Or if it will work from Prinergy you probably need to buy an $8,000 text file as a license option.

the printer doesn't take postscript unfortunately. Ideally it would take .tiff as this would be a stable output format with Prinergy doing the ripping and giving us reasonable confidence that the print will look like the plated work.

I guess I should do some research on my own, just taking "it doesn't work" from the bossman is not really the full picture.
vdp donkey