Ethernet Tester Recommendations

Started by Slappy, August 01, 2017, 08:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on August 02, 2017, 01:32:33 PM:facepalm:

You definitely weren't doing something right.

:lmao:
Our house wiring was that bad. We're seriously lucky that we didn't have any electrical issues. We did end up re-wiring some stuff and the guy that did it commented about some "strange" things he saw with the wiring. The house was originally a 4 bedroom and had two living rooms, but walls were taken down and stuff moved around to make it a three bedroom with a master suite and one ginormous living room. I'm not joking - both the master and the guest bath had wiring in the same area of the wall shared with plumbing, and I know that's a big no-no.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Yeah but if you put the probes on two wires and it fried the meter and melted the probes you were still doing something wrong. :tongue:

You are lucky you survived. Seriously.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Quote from: Joe on August 02, 2017, 02:23:05 PMIt isn't the voltage that kills you:

QuoteHow many volts does it take to kill a human?

Its not the volts that kill you, it's the amps. Dragging your feet across the carpet can generate as much as 25,000 volts. There are companies on the internet who routinely sell 50,000 volt Tesla coils to play with. However, it only takes a current between 100 and 200 mA (0.1 to 0.2 amp) to be lethal.

Yes, it's the amps that does the killing but 110v has this interesting effect of locking all your muscles sticking you to whatever is electrocuting you. Higher voltage tends to blow you off whatever you stupidly touched and you stop getting electrocuted.

So yeah Digi, you're damn lucky. Protip, if you see someone getting electrocuted don't run up and try to pull them off. You'll just have 2 people getting electrocuted. Find something non-conductive like a 2x4 and use that to seprate them from death.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job