New(er) computer ... maybe

Started by Possum, January 31, 2018, 11:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum

If I get enough back from income tax, I'm thinking of upgrading at home to a refurb Mac Mini. I like the 2007 models. With an adapter I can use the monitor I have. Prolly only spend around $300 total. It will only go to OSX 10.7.

The 2009 models will go to 10.11, I think, but they only have mini DVI ports, so I'd have to buy a monitor, and maybe an Apple one at that. Trying to be as stingy as possible. Suggestions?

I need new glasses before a new computer, so this may all be a pipe dream, but....
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

You can get an adapter for the mini DVI to whatever you need. Check monoprice.com or cablestogo.com. Later and faster is always better. It will take longer to be obsolete. Both of those models are outdated but the 2007 more so.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Possum

I'll do that, thanks for the tip. It's $99 just for the DVI to ADC converter.

Possum

Turns out I'd need the DVI to ADC, then a Mini DV to DVI. Maybe I'll look into just getting a new monitor. Prolly cheaper.

Joe

Joe

Here is a mini DVI to VGA which almost all monitors have:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4850&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlr2msPSC2QIVELjACh3ivQ6pEAQYAiABEgIHXvD_BwE

$3.39 plus shipping.

wonderings

You can find LCD monitors really cheap.  If you are getting a 2009 model you can swap out the hard drive and replace with an SSD which will improve the computer ALOT. Adds new life to it as everything boots and opens so fast. I have a 2010 Mac Mini that I put an SSD in that runs the RIP (Fiery XF) for our Epson 9900. Sure it does not process the fastest as it is an older CPU, but everything starts quick and is very responsive and snappy.

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on January 31, 2018, 01:13:12 PMWhat is an ADC?

ADC is Apples old connection they used. I had a few ADC to DVI adapters back with my old PowerMac G4's.

Joe

Ahhhh she has one of those Apple monitors. Yeah throw it into the trash and get an LCD. Those adapters for those Apple monitors are crazy expensive.

Possum

Yeah, those. You know my stuff is so old nobody would want it. :lmao:

Joe

Quote from: Possum on January 31, 2018, 01:41:07 PMYeah, those. You know my stuff is so old nobody would want it. :lmao:

They are/were great monitors other than that stupid-ass ADC connector that you can only use a on a Mac with that fitting. We still have one on a G5. Once the G5 dies that monitor is going in the recycle pile.

wonderings

there are ADC to DVI adapters, no apple branded ones that are not expensive, or at least were not back when I had ran my G4's. The stock GPU's with the powermacs had the ADC connection though I never used an Apple display.

Joe

The last time I looked for an adapter for our it was like $249 IF you could find them.

Possum

DV Warehouse has them for $99. That's where I've gotten two computers, and the company is good. Amazon has them too.
Powermax had them for $49, but they're out of stock.

Joe

They are cheaper than they used to be. But you can buy an OK monitor with higher resolution than the old Apple Display for about $100. So I wouldn't pay the $99 for the adapter.