News:

Main Menu

Invisible Lineart

Started by whoami, September 26, 2007, 04:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoami

HEEEEEELLLLLLPPPP!!!!!   we are having problem getting rid of data in a PDF.  This  comes from inserting an ill file with multiple items into indy and exporting a PDF.  Is there a way to get rid of all that extra lineart that is not printing.    The first picture below is what we see in outline mode and the second one is what we see in preview mode.  What should print is what we see in the preview mode.  We want to get rid of all that art that is in there but does not print.   So far the PDF optimizer in acrobat 7 doesn't work.  I don't know of any export setting in indy that will help me so i'm stuck.  Anyone know of any pitstop profile or actionlist that will do this for me or some other kind of workaround. 

WharfRat

Why do you care to get rid of the extra data, if it will not print?

MSD

mwc

OPtions:

A) outta sight, outta mind why care?
B) Edit the Illy file - best to fix it there. (remove unseen/non-printing layers)
C) Pitstop has the tools to edit, you'll just be stuck selecting/hiding/and playing with layers there as well.
D) Don't forsee any tool that would automatically fix that...it's in the original art...AI (adobe illustrator) doesn't have AI (artificial intelligence) that I know of... ;D

Joe

This is another thing that pisses me off. People putting things together but instead of deleting the object they decide they don't like they just cover it up. Assholes...everyone of em'! ;D
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Pointyhat

Is it on a different layer in Illy? It should be easy enough to delete. If it's on one layer use a pathfinder to delete the extraneous. But I do agree with these guys, unless it's eating your rip what do you care?

whoami

We have Neo here in our shop and sometimes we have to go in the PDF and edit a few things and these extra lines are messing us up.  for example if we want to trap that sierra logo we have to carefully select all the letters we don't need one by one delete them.  If we have to do this every day it's going to slow us down. Obviously we could go into the ill file and delete the lines and update the build with the fixed ill file.  A lot of builds we work on are supplied by the customer and you know they don't care how an ill file is placed in there.  They also don't want us to fix it because it adds to the final bill that they are already complaining is too high.  Also another reason why we can't have those lines in there is a few days ago some of that invisible art actually popped up on the customers Fuji proof even though the PDF previewed fine. 

jimking

If this job is a 4/c process job, I see nothing that needs trapping. As stated earlier fix the Illy file. Look in the layers pallet or go to view and select "preview" and trash unwanted data. Cut to the chase and trouble shoot or waste time finding an easy button.

mwc

I have one at work, and one at home .... friggin' awesome technology.

whoami

LOL I wish we had an easy button.  I think during lunch time i'm going to staples.   

The pics I posted is just one example of the problem.  We have run into this everyday with a lot of jobs.  Going into the ill file and deleting the unwanted elements is not practical in our high volume shop especially when the customer doesn't want to pay for the extra Mac time. 

Joe

Quote from: whoami on September 26, 2007, 04:49:17 PMHEEEEEELLLLLLPPPP!!!!!   we are having problem getting rid of data in a PDF.  This  comes from inserting an ill file with multiple items into indy and exporting a PDF.  Is there a way to get rid of all that extra lineart that is not printing.    The first picture below is what we see in outline mode and the second one is what we see in preview mode.  What should print is what we see in the preview mode.  We want to get rid of all that art that is in there but does not print.   So far the PDF optimizer in acrobat 7 doesn't work.  I don't know of any export setting in indy that will help me so i'm stuck.  Anyone know of any pitstop profile or actionlist that will do this for me or some other kind of workaround. 

Acrobat 7 under PDF optimizer...have you tried it with the check box checked for "Remove unnamed destinations" in the "Cleanup" section? Have you tried different options in the "Discard Objects" section.

In Acrobat 8 there is something under the Document menu called Examine Document. One of the things in there is "Deleted hidden page and image content". You can check it and then click the "Remove all checked items" button. Don't have a file to test it with really so I can't see if it works or not.

Also...Acrobat 8 has more options to discard items in the Optimizer than Acrobat 7 has.

whoami

Yeah I tried all that in multiple combinations both on Acrobat 7 & 8.  I tried using Pitstop as well with no luck.  Granted i'm not an expert in pitstop.

Down with PDF.  Long live EPS.   J/K

David

you might try the ole "refry" technique.
save the pdf out as a .ps file and drop the new .ps file on distiller to recreate the pdf. The unwanted data should be gone.

maybe...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

whoami

saving the file out of InDesign as an eps and converting that into a PDF works but I haven't tried the "refry" technique.  Thanks for the info i'll definitely give it a try.  Although what will happen with the transparencies in the file??? 

Joe

Same as making an EPS. Bye Bye transparency.

Greg_Firestone

Hi,

The cleanup function won't work because from its stand-point, it's just part of the file. They aren't stray points. They're all contained with the media and trim box. It looks at just like it's a regular graphic for the file.

You mentioned you take an illustrator file into InDesign . . . what happens if you go back to the original Illustrator file? Is it built correctly? If so, what happens if you export a PDF or EPS from Illustrator and then place that into InDesign.

Regards,
Greg

Technical Project Manager
OneVision Software