News:

Main Menu

Invisible Lineart

Started by whoami, September 26, 2007, 04:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoami

Well the issue is that they are not coming in built right.  We are getting the files from the designer and they don't want to pay for us to fix anything. That's why I want to set something up to compensate for our lazy customers.  I tried exporting an eps from ill and placing that in indy but I ended up with the same results.  The only way I could work around this is to import it into our Nexus rip and export a PDF and the lines are all gone.  The issue with this work around is that importing that PDF converts it into and optimized Artpro file then back into a PDF. When this happens there are a lot of issues with transperancies being flattened wrong.  Because of this, management gives this work around a big fat "F". 

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: whoami on October 04, 2007, 07:35:11 PMWell the issue is that they are not coming in built right.   

Welcome to prepress!!
 :ninja:

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Maybe I've missed it but why is this a problem if the file is outputting correctly? Or is the file not outputting correctly?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

whoami

Well we sometimes need to edit the traps in Neo (EskoArtworks PDF Editor) and with all this extra linework it makes it that much more difficult.  Also a few days ago some of that invisible type actually imaged on our FujiFinalProof that we send to the customer even though the PDF previews fine. Most of the times these lines are not a huge issue but we don't want proofs accidentally going out wrong when type images in the wrong places.

Joe

Quote from: whoami on October 08, 2007, 11:48:53 AMWell we sometimes need to edit the traps in Neo (EskoArtworks PDF Editor) and with all this extra linework it makes it that much more difficult.  Also a few days ago some of that invisible type actually imaged on our FujiFinalProof that we send to the customer even though the PDF previews fine. Most of the times these lines are not a huge issue but we don't want proofs accidentally going out wrong when type images in the wrong places.

That would be a perfect opportunity to point out to the customer what can happen if they don't clean up their file before sending it to you.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

whoami

Yeah but unfortunately the sales people don't want to hear it either so they don't want us to bother any of our customers.  They don't want them to think we can't handle these files. 

mwc

Quote from: whoami on October 08, 2007, 12:27:57 PMYeah but unfortunately the sales people don't want to hear it either so they don't want us to bother any of our customers.  They don't want them to think we can't handle these files. 

Do it right, or do it right now...if you are afforded the time on each project and your company doesn't want to rock the boat for a sloppy (but good?) customer, then suck it up and fix everything all the time...
If not, play the flying-crapshoot on each job...give the SP all the bad proofs, and be sure your bean-counters are aware of the extra times/proofs involved with that account...I wouldn't lose sleep on an issue that doesn't want to be addressed by your company or the customer....Stupid, I know....I'd want to know if ANYTHING was improper when supplying a job for print...cause I wouldn't be using the same vendor for every project....but then you have the types that think their shit don't stink, and get offended when you say otherwise....

Captain_Type

I see that problem a lot.

It seems some designers like to have one logo file with a spot color logo, a grayscale logo, a reversed out logo and a horizontal stacked logo all in one easily-managed file. That way, when they send a file off to the printer, they only have one graphic.

Unfortunately, if they don't have the graphics truncated to the clipping box (preferable, as a lot of times they forgot what bleed is), your PDF ends up with all that extra clutter. It also messes up the fit content to frame/fit frame to content/center content proportionally, etc. options.

It also adds undeletable spot colors to your color palette that you need to convert to process just to be safe, even though you don't see them used anywhere.

I wonder if there's a Pitstop action to remove invisible lineart.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

whoami

There is something in pitstop that lets you remove invisible objects.  Although I still haven't figured out what it actually does because it doesn't remove those lines.  I don't know what makes an invisible object invisible. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? 

jimking

Quote from: whoami on October 11, 2007, 04:42:41 PMThere is something in pitstop that lets you remove invisible objects.  Although I still haven't figured out what it actually does because it doesn't remove those lines.  I don't know what makes an invisible object invisible. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? 
When creating vector art in Illy and one does not apply a stroke or fill (no color including white) unselect the art and it will become invisible. To view it you'll either "select all" or you can go to "view" and choose "outline"

whoami

Quote from: jimking on October 12, 2007, 07:40:05 AM
Quote from: whoami on October 11, 2007, 04:42:41 PMThere is something in pitstop that lets you remove invisible objects.  Although I still haven't figured out what it actually does because it doesn't remove those lines.  I don't know what makes an invisible object invisible. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? 
When creating vector art in Illy and one does not apply a stroke or fill (no color including white) unselect the art and it will become invisible. To view it you'll either "select all" or you can go to "view" and choose "outline"

That's why I come to this site.  Learn something new everyday.

frailer

So, jimking...am at home, so can't test, but; I'm assuming that in PitStop, the invisible art would show up under "wireframe" view. Must check that out.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

jimking

Quote from: frailer on October 12, 2007, 05:15:41 PMSo, jimking...am at home, so can't test, but; I'm assuming that in PitStop, the invisible art would show up under "wireframe" view. Must check that out.
At home too. You would think so.