Slide Adapter for a scanner

Started by Slappy, April 28, 2014, 07:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

I found a bunch of 35mm slides from back in college, projects I'd shot on my old Nikon 2020 and I do have a really decent Epson Perfection 4870 scanner, just not the slide adapter. I've tried a few times to get it to recognize the slides but it just won't do it without that tray adapater I guess. Can I hack one together with some black non-reflective material?

This is what it looks like but I don't think anybody actually has them for sale any more.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

I keep forgetting that Joe has an organic search engine in his head. Or it may be a chip, not sure.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

I've got one for an Epson RX500 that you are welcome to borrow if it fits. It looks different, though:

http://www.parts-distribution.com/collections/epson-all-in-one-stylus-photo-rx500/products/slide-35mm-negative-holder-eps-sc-1081
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

motormount

Are those slides or negatives?-cause some use the ''slide'' term for both -

Anyway,i got a 3200 perfection home,made it recognizable by win7 by ''telling'' the pc it's the 4990 and tried yesterday to scan some negatives...

I don't know if it's the lack of calibration-no it8 target here- or the software-silverfast won't work so i downloaded something like ''vuse'' and what comes with epsons-,or the 4990 driver-which worked fine for prints-but no matter  what i did,i couldn't get a scan that needed less than half an hour(!!!) to be fixed(chromatically).
So i gave up...

I don't have any slides to try,so i'd be much interested -if you get a slide holder- to tell us what you did with yours!

born2print

scanning NEGATIVES is a bitch, even with good scanners we used to have.
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

DigiCorn

don't you have an oil mount drum scanner you can use?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 29, 2014, 02:38:44 PMdon't you have an oil mount drum scanner you can use?
I have the steel frame, the drums and mineral oil, but the scanner is an artificial reef now.
And even if I had it, NEGS are still a bitch.
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

Quote from: motormount on April 29, 2014, 11:27:13 AMAre those slides or negatives?-cause some use the ''slide'' term for both.
Slides in this case. And as For Joe's link -  it's not worth $25 for the amount of slides I want to scan.

Quote from: DCurry on April 29, 2014, 05:57:05 AMI've got one for an Epson RX500 that you are welcome to borrow if it fits. It looks different, though:

http://www.parts-distribution.com/collections/epson-all-in-one-stylus-photo-rx500/products/slide-35mm-negative-holder-eps-sc-1081
I think my in-law's scanner has one like that too, might give it a shot. Worst case, I'll binder clip 'em to a piece of cardboard & shoot them on macro with the DSLR!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

WharfRat

I have an Agfa HiD scanner - "glassless" for transparencies.
I could scan those puppies up, for you, at a quite high resolution - if you care.

MSD

motormount

I had an epson 3200 calibrated where i worked ten years ago,never used it for negs,excellent for prints,not bad for slides.

The old hel 3300 was pretty good even for negatives,and with linocolor you didn't even had to go to ps to produce a good ''separation'' -we called them then...