Garbled font display - corrupt?

Started by gnubler, November 01, 2010, 09:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Here's a fun new treat to start off the week with. I'm getting this garbled display of text in InDesign. Happened with plain old Arial and now with plain old Times. See screenshot. Corrupt or what? Should I just install different versions of those fonts or is there more to the story that you're aware of?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

nice kerning...

but on a serious note, check to see if you have a conflict. Are you using FEX? or is this on your PC?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

:laugh: I know! The first thing I checked was the kerning value - it's 0. The screenshot is just text set in Adobe's version of Times that I pasted from an email. It happened earlier when I opened an Indy doc that I created, Arial, and saw the same crap.

On Mac. Will continue to investigate.

It was fine on Friday at 4:57pm...

weekend gremlins, obviously
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

you must have some sort of curse...

are you anywhere near an Indian burial ground?
Livin' la Vida Loca

boosted29

I had a similar issue but with using Indy CS4 on a PC. I just closed out of InDesign and deactivated all of the fonts in FontAgent Pro and then reactivated them. Opened InDesign again and it was fine.

This could have just been the wacky PC but its worth a shot. Whatcha using for font management?
Quote from: gnubler on October 22, 2010, 12:54:19 PM
It's called "prepress". :laugh:

99% of the population doesn't even know we exist or are aware of the work that goes into printing their crap.

gnubler

Quote from: david on November 01, 2010, 10:05:12 AMyou must have some sort of curse...

are you anywhere near an Indian burial ground?

Ghost of dead pressmen, prolly.

I just did what Boosted mentioned and it "appears" fine now. Using FEX and CS4 on Mac.

Guess I have a case of the Mondays?

DigitalCrapShoveler

I had a good one last week, forgot to mention it.

Have a 64 page letter sized, very type intensive file. Unfortunately, the swatch palette looked like a fanned out Pantone book. I do an add unused colors, then a select all unused colors and delete.... all my text rewraps.

WTF?
Member #285 - Civilian

boosted29

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 01, 2010, 10:33:00 AMI had a good one last week, forgot to mention it.

Have a 64 page letter sized, very type intensive file. Unfortunately, the swatch palette looked like a fanned out Pantone book. I do an add unused colors, then a select all unused colors and delete.... all my text rewraps.

WTF?

WTF indeed.

99% of the population doesn't even know we exist or are aware of the work that goes into printing their crap.

gnubler

Were you perchance working in my shop, using my Mac? Sounds normal for this place.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on November 01, 2010, 10:56:05 AMWere you perchance working in my shop, using my Mac? Sounds normal for this place.

No, it happened on 3 different machines. I even switched fonts out, and it still did it. I got it working, but still weird.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

I always load my fonts in the Swatches pallet, something wrong with that?

my other printer doesn't have problems with it.

:sarcasm:
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

One, theoretically has nothing to do with the other. Actually, that isn't a theory as much as it is a fact. Now, not so sure.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: david on November 01, 2010, 11:17:02 AMI always load my fonts in the Swatches pallet, something wrong with that?

I bet you name them "New Color Swatch" also, don't you?

boosted29

Quote from: gnubler on November 01, 2010, 11:37:07 AM
Quote from: david on November 01, 2010, 11:17:02 AMI always load my fonts in the Swatches pallet, something wrong with that?

I bet you name them "New Color Swatch" also, don't you?

Usually "New Color Swatch" is taken on the jobs I work on. I just then name it "New Color Swatch 2"

David

naw, it's New Color Swatch Copy...

duh
Livin' la Vida Loca