Export PDF reverse pages?

Started by wonderings, October 05, 2018, 08:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderings

I have a bit of a headache job here, name tags for an event next week. In prepping for print and what we need to do with the tags I need a set printed normal order (no problem there) and a set export in reverse. I thought for sure there would be an option for that bit not does not seem so or I am missing it. Is there any easy way I can export through Indesign or even Acrobat the PDF with pages reverse? I tried the print to PDF but that did not work as the printer drivers did not support it or something like that.

Tracy

are you printing to copiers?
if so there is a drop down that says more options and you can select print in reverse
if you need a pdf, not sure how to do it except thru a workflow?
attached to show the more options

wonderings

Quote from: Tracy on October 05, 2018, 09:03:50 AMare you printing to copiers?
if so there is a drop down that says more options and you can select print in reverse
if you need a pdf, not sure how to do it except thru a workflow?
attached to show the more options

I need these files for imposing. I did find a way thankfully through some googling. Some javascript did exactly what I wanted it to do
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2063936

pspdfppdfxhd

That's pretty cool.

I just use Quite Imposing's reverse page order function. Great little plugin for tricks.

Tracy

That is cool Wonderings, I wish I knew Javascript, If you get a minute can you post how you did it?
I don't quite understand he lingo in the Forum Answer

Quite Imposing is a pretty powerful tool!

pabney

Pitstop also has a reverse page order

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Tracy on October 05, 2018, 09:31:23 AMThat is cool Wonderings, I wish I knew Javascript, If you get a minute can you post how you did it?

I will look far and wide to avoid learning JavaScript, but maybe that's the wrong approach.

Maybe an investment in JavaScript for dummies would be in order?

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes, Quite imposing will bring out the "MacGuyver" instinct in you for sure.

DigiCorn

Pitstop and Quite both do it, but if you don't have those, you can compose an action and add it to your tool palette.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2063936
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

wonderings

Quote from: Tracy on October 05, 2018, 09:31:23 AMThat is cool Wonderings, I wish I knew Javascript, If you get a minute can you post how you did it?

Had to read it a few times to understand, I will do my best to simplify it:

In Acrobat DC go to tools > new action
Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 1.04.18 PM by B P, on Flickr

Next go to new action and hit add (says open on mine because I added it already. Adds to the side bar on the right)
Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 1.03.35 PM by B P, on Flickr

Now open "new action" from the list on the left scroll down to " more tools" then click "execute java script". Hit the + button in the middle then click "specify settings"
Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 1.05.15 PM by B P, on Flickr

A window will pop up, copy and paste the java script text from the link I posted earlier into this box and click "ok" I think another dialogue box opens, just ok whatever it says.
Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 1.05.21 PM by B P, on Flickr

Now with that done you go to your "action list" which should be a button on the right side bar now and you will see the reverse page order, or whatever you labeled it there.
Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 1.42.12 PM by B P, on Flickr

Hopefully that helps

Joe

InDesign can export in reverse order though I wouldn't want to do it for a large publication. To do it, specify each page in reverse order, ie...16,15,14,13 etc. It won't let you enter something like 16-1 to do all 16 in reverse order. You have to enter each page individually.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on October 05, 2018, 11:52:33 AMInDesign can export in reverse order though I wouldn't want to do it for a large publication. To do it, specify each page in reverse order, ie...16,15,14,13 etc. It won't let you enter something like 16-1 to do all 16 in reverse order. You have to enter each page individually.

I had thought about doing that but had some files that were 250 + pages so not really practicle. The javascript I found works perfectly and so easy. Surprised that is not an export feature in Indesign.

Joe

Quote from: wonderings on October 05, 2018, 12:19:18 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 05, 2018, 11:52:33 AMInDesign can export in reverse order though I wouldn't want to do it for a large publication. To do it, specify each page in reverse order, ie...16,15,14,13 etc. It won't let you enter something like 16-1 to do all 16 in reverse order. You have to enter each page individually.

I had thought about doing that but had some files that were 250 + pages so not really practicle. The javascript I found works perfectly and so easy. Surprised that is not an export feature in Indesign.

We should write a javascript to enter an unlimited number of pages in reverse order to enter into the InDesign page range box. :rotf:  :sarcasm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Thanks Wonderings!!
I am going to try it!

Tracy

Getting an error message after I enter the script
Tried typing the bracket after where it is highlighted but that didn't work