Advice and suggestiongs on two sided impo proofing

Started by scottrsimons, December 13, 2017, 08:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Farabomb on January 31, 2018, 01:19:19 PMJust tell sales you can't do on demand proofs because of (insert some technical term here).

The second they know they can get something last minute, they'll ask for it every time and want even more.
Just tell sales you can't do on demand proofs because of (lag time in the ink jet nozzles). 

Just tell sales you can't do on demand proofs because of (paper friction being a fire hazard). 

Just tell sales you can't do on demand proofs because of (different sized halftone dots). 

Just tell sales you can't do on demand proofs because of (eddies in the time continuum). 
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

mc hristel

I can tell you that those cons are mostly shared by our Djet system. It isn't particularly massive though, just 2 epson 7272's (think 9900 size) stacked, and we don't actually have a catch bin so everything just gets dumped onto the floor. Otherwise, yea, paper management. It's fun wrestling a 40" roll of paper 6 feet up to the top unit and then stringing it through to the bottom unit. Especially when the humidity is all over the place and the paper starts curling.

Still, it's way better than doing it all manually.

scottrsimons

Since a couple have asked, here is a picture of our setup. Our floor is 2' x 2' squares. So that makes this unit 8' deep x about 6' wide x about 5' tall. The 8' deep is so you can move the lower printer away from the upper when you change out paper. Our silver catch bin, is make from an old KBA plate bent to catch the paper without crinkling the paper. Which surprisingly works pretty good.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

Floor brings back memories. That place didn't use to house a Linotype-Hell Chromacom system did it? I worked on 2 different ones and both had that kind of floor. Raised to allow for wires underneath and the air conditioning system blew forced air under the floor and up through the vent holes.

Your desk/cabinets look like the furniture that came with the old Hell system also.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

So that's what a real prepress room looks like? It's been so long since I've been to a real place I forgot.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

scottrsimons

Quote from: Tracy on February 02, 2018, 10:29:58 AMwow thats pretty cool!
Good job McGyver!

Thank you, that is what I do. Jack of all trades. Thinking outside the box. Always looking for a solution with what we already have, and then some.  :mademyday:

scottrsimons

Joe,

I'm not sure what kind of system they had in the department before me (or how they even survived :sarcasm: ). But it did provide a place for all the cables and A/C. It probably was something similar if not the same. As the company was primarily a film house, before adding printing to their arsenal. Luckily for me, film was gone before I came on board.

Joe

On ours I was once running cable under that floor and when lifting one of those tiles I dropped the sharp edge on my finger and it practically cut my finger off. Spent 6 hours in ER getting it sewn up.

Marktonk

Yes, that is Chromacom furniture, expensive stuff that last forever :D
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

Joe

Quote from: Marktonk on February 02, 2018, 09:34:52 PMYes, that is Chromacom furniture, expensive stuff that last forever :D

I wish I could have gotten some of it when they closed our plant down back in the day.