Workspace preferences

Started by DigiCorn, March 13, 2017, 10:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Is there a way to save these somewhere? I've had to toss my preferences a couple times recently, and I really hate rebuilding my workspace each time. I'm kind of OCD about how I have my various tools arranged, and I'd like to just be able to drop in my workspace after deleting preferences, should I need to again in the future. I thought I had found (what appeared to be) a text file that I copied to the desktop and tried to drop it back in later, but it didn't work. Is what I'm describing even possible?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Create a new workspace with whatever you want to name it as. Set it up the way you want it. The saved Workspace will be in the '/Users/~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 12.0/en_US/Workspaces' folder. Just copy it to another location and restore it later if you need to.

Once you create the new Workspace you may need to quit InDesign before you will see the newworkspace.xml file in that folder.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

That's how I did it, but it didn't work.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I created a workspace name Joe and there is a file named Joe.xml in that folder

Just_A_Mac_Guy

Some versions and installs are less reliable than others. CS6 in this office was a nightmare for me but fine for my co-workers.
Once I get my setting correct I save them to a safe location. I then put a copy of the Workspace.XML, Indesign Defaults and Color Settings on my desktop alond with an alias to the
~/Users/<YourName>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 11.0/en_US
Folder. That way when you crash or have to reset your settings you can just Option-Drag those files and replace the corrupt ones.

DigiCorn

No... I mean the files are there... but replacing them doesn't bring my workspace back
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

This article says the Workspaces are stored in the "Roaming" folder, not the usual Preferences folder. Maybe?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

According to that page the roaming folder is the same as the one mentioned above. And the test one I created is there, as digi confirmed, but he says if you replace it later the workspace doesn't come back.

Slappy

A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

I copied mine from one version to another, I also copied from one computer to another.
only difference is I used the Go Menu
should be the same tho.