CC2017 image link glitches

Started by hotmetal, May 18, 2017, 12:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotmetal

I finally got myself a newer Mac Pro (moving from 2006 to 2009 — one of my pals back at my old job found a 2009 on the IT guy's junk pile and grabbed it for me, upgraded it to 20GBs of ram and a new hardrive with Yosemite, works fine) and decided it was time to bit the bullet and move from good ol' Indy CS6 to the latest Indy, CC2017.

Now I'm finding that, when re-opening a file, the images all show OK links, but they appear on the screen as low-res. I have to manually re-link them to get the hi-res previews back. I've got all my InDesign application prefs set to hi-res previews, every place you can set that. They look good right after placing, but upon re-opening the file, they're shit. But since they show as "OK" in the link panel, I can't just say "relink all", I have to do each one individually...

I ran permissions repair, did a restart, still doing it. Arrrgh!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Joe

With no document open check and make sure you have your InDesign preferences for 'Display Performance' set to High Quality and then also check under the 'View' menu that 'Display Performance' is also set to High Quality. Once they are set with no documents open that should become the default for everything.

If that doesn't fix it try deleting the InDesign preferences.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

hotmetal

thanks, Joe, I'll look into that, though I thought I did that already... could be one of them senior moments...
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Joe

I only mentioned it because if you do it with a document open I think the setting only sticks for that document.

I'm having a lot of those myself these days. :cane:

pspdfppdfxhd

Maybe unrelated..... but this week, we made a proof, black and white book, maybe 50 b&w images... 2 of them were inversed. I mean, the blacks in the images were white and vice versa. Edited the links in photoshop, did the command i to inverse, links updated ok. Very strange. No transparency effects, etc. applied.

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on May 18, 2017, 05:59:42 PMMaybe unrelated..... but this week, we made a proof, black and white book, maybe 50 b&w images... 2 of them were inversed. I mean, the blacks in the images were white and vice versa. Edited the links in photoshop, did the command i to inverse, links updated ok. Very strange. No transparency effects, etc. applied.

I've seen that a few times with color images too. Still don't know how or why the designers did it.

Tracy

I recall something like this too, But it seemed something to do with an old pagemaker pdf or something

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on May 18, 2017, 08:07:17 PM
Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on May 18, 2017, 05:59:42 PMMaybe unrelated..... but this week, we made a proof, black and white book, maybe 50 b&w images... 2 of them were inversed. I mean, the blacks in the images were white and vice versa. Edited the links in photoshop, did the command i to inverse, links updated ok. Very strange. No transparency effects, etc. applied.

I've seen that a few times with color images too. Still don't know how or why the designers did it.

Designers didnt do it....their printout was ok. Maybe something to do with the collect for output?? But when editing the link, it was inversed.

Inversed.... dont ya love that word?

Joe

Yeah the ones I see look fine in the PDF but when I open the image in the PDF into Photoshop from Acrobat to edit it....it is inversed there. I inverse it, edit it, and then save it back and it still looks fine in Acrobat.

Farabomb

I haven't seen it in indy but I've had it happen going cross platform. I'd save out images, send it to HR and when they get it it's inverse. I save it a different way and it works. I wonder if it's in the encoding.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job