Pitstop registration problems

Started by Adriano, January 18, 2008, 08:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriano

Hi
I have a very crazy problem with Pitstop 7.2 registration
I used to have acrobat 7 and pitstop.
We upgraded to acrobat 8, removed pitstop plug-in from 7, removed the pitstop 7 preferences from library and installed pitstop in acrobat 8
So far so good
It work for an hour or so and, as for magic, is asking the registration code again
You do it, works for some time and than, wham, there you are again
Does anyone have any idea of why?
It seems that it is seeing the plugin in 7, but is not there any more
I want to keep acrobat 7 for another bit longer just in case I have problems with 8
All the preferences in the Library (user and System) I could think of have being removed
Thank you in advance
 ;) ;)
Still not drinking. Never been better

Joe

I think you can keep it installed in both 7 and 8. Works for me and I've never had a problem with both of them having it installed. You might run into some Pitstop database quirkiness if you have them both running at the same time though. Try installing it back in 7 and registering it there. It should hold the registration in 8 as they both use the same license.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Adriano

Hi Joe
Thank you for the tip but I used to have both acrobat with pitstop and I thought that that was the problem!
It seems that there is a conflict between the two
Bah
I will try to reinstall everything from scratch!
Cheers ??? ???

Joe

Have you tried repairing permissions on the disk. I'd try that before re-installing everything. Also maybe boot into single user mode and run fsck. (type "/sbin/fsck -fy" without the quotes from the command line after booting into single user mode.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Adriano

I will try that but when I said I "start from scratch" I didn't mean really "from scratch"!
Thank you again
I will keep you informed
 ;)

Adriano

Quote from: Joe  on January 19, 2008, 02:49:14 AMHave you tried repairing permissions on the disk. I'd try that before re-installing everything. Also maybe boot into single user mode and run fsck. (type "/sbin/fsck -fy" without the quotes from the command line after booting into single user mode.

I did as you suggested and still doesn't work properly
We normally use Onix regularly to check permission, delete temporary and cache and so on
We also sent an email to Enfocus asking for some tech support
I forgot to mention that we have 2 pitstop (with different registration) on the network and the IT guys here set up the most complicated network I have ever seen!
It could be a conflict between the two!
Keep you posted and again thank you for your help
Keep well
Adriano

frailer

Am a bit late chasing this one, Adriano. Did you purchase direct from Enfocus online? Or did you get it from a local distrbutor here in Oz? Don't know whether this is the same problem I had, but I've been told by the local distributor here that Enfocus don't update their database if you purchase locally. He supplied a link to download the Update.
This is entirely legitimate if you purchased properly/legally, despte innuendo to the contrary on a similar query I posted on the old PPF. Our distributor was PostScript Solutions. Don't know where you are  or how you purchased, but this may be an avenue for you. I just went through the same palaver on the 7.5 Update. Drew a blank when trying to download from Enfocus. The other route worked without a hitch, but I had to phone them; very helpful guys. It's obviously checking against a database before it proceeds! As long as it works, and you are "paid-up" and entitled to it...seeing as you are in Oz...PM me if you need further detail. It may not be of too much interest to non-Aussies.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Adriano

I just wanted to give a good ending to this saga, so there it goes:
"Some graphic designer who used to work for us and recently left (and who by chance was French) always denied having Pitstop on his machine - many times!
The new designer who replaced him asked us how come that Pitstop on his machine wasn't working all the time!
The machines are on the same network ergo the registration problems!
Apologies to Enfocus and war to France and all the Frenchmen :ninja2: :ninja2: :ninja2: :duel: :punchy: :punchy:

frailer

man, just classic...
Remember that comedy series about 7-8 years ago with Kim Gyngell in it. There was one skit where suits sat around a boardroom table and worked on "concepts". The Co.was "Bastards Inc.", or similar. They'd work on schemes to "get" people. Each skit finished with Gyngell saying: "Now that's a real bastard!"
Made me think of it... :tonofbricks:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Adriano

Yeah well said
And thank you Frailer for you feedback "in the moment of need"
Really appreciated
Go Australia :cheesy: