News:

Main Menu

Global change question

Started by Adriano, March 13, 2008, 05:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

So far, I think PB was right about the Grayscale coming into play before the conversion. When I try to map to black, I get the same values. Color Management, can get the value to 50%, so I figure it is compositing the color from it's color values in gray, then mapping the color. Odd. I'm gonna go back to an earlier version of PitStop and see what happens.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yep, it also happens in PitStop V6.5. I loaded Joe's Action, and got the same thing. I even created one in Pitstop 6.5, and it did the same thing. I have never noticed this before, and I swear I have done this successfully. Baffled too.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 21, 2008, 02:02:51 PMYep, it also happens in PitStop V6.5. I loaded Joe's Action, and got the same thing. I even created one in Pitstop 6.5, and it did the same thing. I have never noticed this before, and I swear I have done this successfully. Baffled too.

There is your homework for the weekend! :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe  on March 21, 2008, 03:58:11 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on March 21, 2008, 02:02:51 PMYep, it also happens in PitStop V6.5. I loaded Joe's Action, and got the same thing. I even created one in Pitstop 6.5, and it did the same thing. I have never noticed this before, and I swear I have done this successfully. Baffled too.

There is your homework for the weekend! :laugh:

Homework, Homework... Give me a break? Where have I heard that before? Anyhoo, I'm on it. Report Monday. Wait, I don't have Pitstop at home...
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I'll be at work tomorrow. Everyone else should be too. :police:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe  on March 21, 2008, 04:04:59 PMI'll be at work tomorrow. Everyone else should be too. :police:

I might be too. It all depends on our Press Scheduler. I'll find out 2 minutes before I have to leave... thanks!?! Why can they not tell you sooner?

Just talking to myselves.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

myselves? How many of you are there? :grin:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe  on March 21, 2008, 04:09:43 PMmyselves? How many of you are there? :grin:

Never counted, some say we are Legion. LOL.

Have a good one Joe, everyone. It is 5:15, and I am outta here!!!
Member #285 - Civilian

tuff_gong

I see this all the time too (Acro 8) My workaround is change color, change tint to 100% and save in repository (as, for example 100_072_Blue). I have 20 of my most often used pantones saved there. A solution would be nice.
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: tuff_gong on March 22, 2008, 12:36:29 PMI see this all the time too (Acro 8) My workaround is change color, change tint to 100% and save in repository (as, for example 100_072_Blue). I have 20 of my most often used pantones saved there. A solution would be nice.

I know, I know... I'm workin' on it. Scoured the net last night... still nuthin.
Member #285 - Civilian

Lucius

doubt there is. wheres mattbeals when you need him?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Lucius on March 23, 2008, 05:43:48 PMdoubt there is. wheres mattbeals when you need him?

I actually looked him up, joined his forum, and asked the question... Here is what he said:

I don't recall this particular problem in PSP 6.x. I'm only aware of it in v7.x. The problem lies in how PSP moves/transforms colors. The way in which Enfocus moves the colors changed. I'm trying to find the email that explained the underpinnings of the new methods. Unfortunately there isn't any way of getting around this by changing the default behavior.

When I find the message I'll post it for you. In the mean time, you have to explicitly select a color and explicitly change it to a destination tint/color.

I will update when he gets back to me.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Well, he's quick... here is what he has to say...

Okay, here's a snippet of the message from Enfocus explaining the process.

Quote:
The reason this happens is that we do a convert color instead of a remap color. What we actually do in the background is translate CMYK to gray and the convert it to the spot color you want.

If possible, i.e. when the object has a single colorant (e.g. spot or gray) changing it to a spot on the inspector preserves the tint value. This allows e.g. 50% gray to be remapped to 50% pantone or one spot to another spot.

But if the object is not a single colorant (e.g. CMYK, RGB, etc.) we want to be able to preserve the relative difference in color. E.g. if you have a CMYK "shading" made from line art or e.g. our Enfocus logo with green and black pieces) we expected that you didn't want them all to become the same color. Hence the current implementation.

If you do want them to have the same color, you just need to move the slider bar to 100%. And yes, this is sometimes an additional click, but we thought that losing the color differences when going from grays to spot was worse.

End Quote

Member #285 - Civilian

Adriano

Thank you DCS
Now I know why I have to be extra careful when changing colours in Pitstop
Thank God for Illustrator (sometimes)
Thank you all for the interest
No solution but an explanation by Her Majesty Enfocus is better than nothing
 :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
Still not drinking. Never been better

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Adriano on March 24, 2008, 04:39:37 PMThank you DGS
Now I know why I have to be extra careful when changing colours in Pitstop
Thank God for Illustrator (sometimes)
Thank you all for the interest
No solution but an explanation by Her Majesty Enfocus is better than nothing
 :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

No problem, that's why we're all here.

Not what I hoped for, but you're right, an explanation from Enfocus does at least put my questions to rest.
Member #285 - Civilian