News:

Main Menu

Nexus OPI linking?

Started by Headache, November 03, 2008, 02:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headache

I have been messing around in my spare time trying to make a OPI workflow that will swap a lores link imposed in Illustrator to either a merged OPPO or screened and separated 1 bit tifs.

2 questions that I have right now are;

1. Which would anyone here suggest is best to link to?
and
2. How can I get a lores eps to link to multiple 1 bit tifs?

So far it links to the last tif made which is dieline but colors it as black, which I guess it thinks is right since it is a 1 bit tif, but the orientation is wrong.

Any help will be really appreciated. 

G_Town

Quote from: Headache on November 03, 2008, 02:56:47 PMI have been messing around in my spare time trying to make a OPI workflow that will swap a lores link imposed in Illustrator to either a merged OPPO or screened and separated 1 bit tifs.

2 questions that I have right now are;

1. Which would anyone here suggest is best to link to?
and
2. How can I get a lores eps to link to multiple 1 bit tifs?

So far it links to the last tif made which is dieline but colors it as black, which I guess it thinks is right since it is a 1 bit tif, but the orientation is wrong.

Any help will be really appreciated. 

I may be mistaken but unless you use a third party OPI solution illy does not support OPI comments. We have a screen page workflow that creates a tiff for each separation and a lowres placement eps to use in our impo. We drop the eps into powerstepper and point nexus to the folder containing the tiffs and it picks them all up and processes them correctly, if you set up screen page workflow you can even have static links to the 1bits, what are you imposing your flats in illy?

Headache

I was imposing the flats in Illustrator, and I think I did get it to link to the hires. 

On the left is my 1up file, CMYK plus a light yellow pantone.  Right is the screened tifs, shown in dotspy, of the output imposed in illustrator  You can see that it only links to a single 1 bit tif and it is, of course, black.  I think this proves that OPI works in Illustrator, and my static links and orientation are good.  The problem is that I don't know how to get 1 lores link file to link to multiple 1 bit tifs.  I mean, how can they have the same name without having all the tifs overwrite each other.  The link eps file gets replaced by the screened tif which is whatever screened tif was output last.  If you set it up your screening workflow to include the separation name, then the files can not link because they don't match the lores eps link's filename.

Without the short separation name in the filename, I can't get our bestcolor proofer to recognize spots anyway.

BTW we don't have power stepper, we have done some imposition of artpro files using the Nexus Step and Repeat module, but we would like to find a solution that eliminates redundant importing, interpreting and separating in the RIP, gives us matching screen angles on all positions regardless of rotation and is easier to use for the techs that don't like Nexus Edit.

I'm getting close, but I'm not sure I know what else to do.

Thanks for your help.

G_Town

Quote from: Headache on November 04, 2008, 07:50:09 AMI was imposing the flats in Illustrator, and I think I did get it to link to the hires. 

On the left is my 1up file, CMYK plus a light yellow pantone.  Right is the screened tifs, shown in dotspy, of the output imposed in illustrator  You can see that it only links to a single 1 bit tif and it is, of course, black.  I think this proves that OPI works in Illustrator, and my static links and orientation are good.  The problem is that I don't know how to get 1 lores link file to link to multiple 1 bit tifs.  I mean, how can they have the same name without having all the tifs overwrite each other.  The link eps file gets replaced by the screened tif which is whatever screened tif was output last.  If you set it up your screening workflow to include the separation name, then the files can not link because they don't match the lores eps link's filename.

Without the short separation name in the filename, I can't get our bestcolor proofer to recognize spots anyway.

BTW we don't have power stepper, we have done some imposition of artpro files using the Nexus Step and Repeat module, but we would like to find a solution that eliminates redundant importing, interpreting and separating in the RIP, gives us matching screen angles on all positions regardless of rotation and is easier to use for the techs that don't like Nexus Edit.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds like a template in your workflow isn't set up correctly, any chance you can send me the workflow to look at?

Joe

Quote from: Headache on November 04, 2008, 07:50:09 AMI was imposing the flats in Illustrator, and I think I did get it to link to the hires. 

Thanks for your help.

I've been through this dilemma before. Long's solution was for me to open the one-bit tifs in Dotspy as a composite and then you can create a link file in Dotspy to the one bit tifs. (1 Composite EPS link that links to all separations) I never tried it because I don't have Dotspy.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on November 04, 2008, 10:14:23 AM

Thanks for your help.

I've been through this dilemma before. Long's solution was for me to open the one-bit tifs in Dotspy as a composite and then you can create a link file in Dotspy to the one bit tifs. (1 Composite EPS link that links to all separations) I never tried it because I don't have Dotspy.

Ok on the EPS to linked Files WF are you wanting the eps to link to the OPPO files or the tiffs? If it's the tiffs try changing the make eps link to make eps link to tiff module and make sure you select link to separated tiffs in that module. Ya know what let me send you my artpro to screen page workflow you can edit it for your use to see if it will work since they are essentially the same (just need edit the front end).

Headache

Well I finally got it working.  The problem was the import module.  The Import module has an OPI setting but it can only link a lores to a single hires file, not separated tiffs.

By using a workflow that converts eps to ps instead of importing, and properly pointing to the static link folder, it works like a charm.

It isn't working that well with a linked file from dotspy, but I'll tinker with that.

Thanks for you help guys.