Preferred "zapper" for spreads surgery

Started by frailer, November 17, 2008, 02:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Seem to be getting more of these. Perfectly good, Press Qual PDFs. ....'cept all but first and last page have been output as spreads. In the past, (we're low volume on this, but it's giving me the terminal irrits now), have made a copy of pp2>(page n-1). Then call one LHPs, other RHPs. Extract, and crop with Crop Tool in PSP, to give bleed all round. Combine the two into Dyna-ready pages.
Or, there's the "bring all spreads in twice", as sequential pairs. Do an offset for LHPs/RHPs. Prolly what I shoulda done today... :undecided:...it was Monday.   :sad:
I'm happy to pursue this later in week when quiet, on my own, but anyone have a preferred method; maybe an EAL?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on November 17, 2008, 02:01:26 AMSeem to be getting more of these. Perfectly good, Press Qual PDFs. ....'cept all but first and last page have been output as spreads. In the past, (we're low volume on this, but it's giving me the terminal irrits now), have made a copy of pp2>(page n-1). Then call one LHPs, other RHPs. Extract, and crop with Crop Tool in PSP, to give bleed all round. Combine the two into Dyna-ready pages.
Or, there's the "bring all spreads in twice", as sequential pairs. Do an offset for LHPs/RHPs. Prolly what I shoulda done today... :undecided:...it was Monday.   :sad:
I'm happy to pursue this later in week when quiet, on my own, but anyone have a preferred method; maybe an EAL?

I use the above method but if you really want to crop them and make sure all the boxes are what you need give the Enfocus Cropping Tool a go.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Adriano

This will make Joe happy
In Prinergy you can split the pdf while refining them
Oh what a feeling!!!!!
Still not drinking. Never been better

tapdn

Most times I bring the spreads in twice also, but it makes for a sloppier, bigger job. Seems when I use the Pitstop crop tool, unless I re-distill, when I bring the halves into Preps I stil have the cropped out half to deal with. Must be something I am missing in Pitstop- not really getting rid of the cropped out half.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

chris_r

prinergy also has a geometry editor plugin that allows you to quickly and easily adjust the trim box on spreads - i do this pretty often. i have never used the spread-splitting feature adriano spoke of, i may need to check that out.

Tim

I would place the PDF's in Indy and let it do the work.

Adriano

Quote from: chris_r on November 17, 2008, 11:17:34 AMprinergy also has a geometry editor plugin that allows you to quickly and easily adjust the trim box on spreads - i do this pretty often. i have never used the spread-splitting feature adriano spoke of, i may need to check that out.

Is in Refine>Normalize-Spread Splitting
It is very handy
Still not drinking. Never been better

frailer

Been thinking about this more because GDs seem to be wedded to the concept of spreads. Here's another possible method, but need someone to verify something.
Say you've got a 48pp doc. Pp 1 and 48 are prolly sitting as "end" singles. The rest assume as spreads...2-3,4-5....46-47.

Ok, here's the plan; it involves a cheap little app Joe mentioned called 'Renamer for Mac'.
-Extract to single pages.
-copy pp2>47, (really 2 to 24, in the spreads line-up).
-using Renamer for Mac, renumber set1 as numbering 2,4,6,8.....46. (23 pages in this sequence).
-using Renamer for Mac again, renumber set2(copy) as 3,5,7,9.....47. (23 pages in this sequence).
-drag them into the same folder. They should, (in theory), re-order themselves as repeating pairs, but now numbering 2 to 47.
-do the appropriate offsets for odd/even in either PREPS or Dynastrip. You may have to reverse the offset for pp 1 and 48, but that's not a big deal.

I'm assuming Renamer can do this. It may not be able to automatically do as either odds or even sequences. Been meaning to pay and download it anyway, so shall try and do this week and trial it.
Suggestions, (torpedoes below the waterline included), are welcome.     :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Are they really crossover spreads? If not...

Step 1. Beat GD into submission to supply as single pages.

Step 2. Impose as normal.

:laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Crossover spreads assumed...yes. I intend to try this out this week, and shall report back.

Chelle

1. The features of Prinergy - now that we have it - are never ceasing to amaze me.

2. People who set stuff up in spreads drive me absolutely up the wall. How is this easier than setting the pages up in the order that they SHOULD be? :huh:
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Chelle on December 06, 2008, 09:19:58 PM1. The features of Prinergy - now that we have it - are never ceasing to amaze me.

2. People who set stuff up in spreads drive me absolutely up the wall. How is this easier than setting the pages up in the order that they SHOULD be? :huh:

This is just a theory, but I believe Vo-Techs and Universities teach that this is preferred. It would make sense if it were all Old Schoolers doing this, But I get a lot of really young Desingers doing it as well.

Friday, I had a Desinger call me and ask how I would like his files set up... to paraphrase in reagrds to the topic, I said, "Single page, consecutive order, Readers flats fine, as long as they are NOT spreads. You know, page 1, 2, 3, 4... First page is the cover, last page is the back cover and every other page in between in numeric order." I get a bastardized attempt at Printers Flats, not remotely in the correct order. No mock-up, no direction, and no page numbers. No patience. :angry:
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: Chelle on December 06, 2008, 09:19:58 PM2. People who set stuff up in spreads drive me absolutely up the wall. How is this easier than setting the pages up in the order that they SHOULD be? :huh:

Because they think they are "helping". I've dealt with so many files, many of which are actually quality work (meaning the Desinger knew what they were doing, design-wise)...but they just have to take that extra step of putting in crops or weird pagination so we all know how smart they are. It almost never works for how the job will be printed. That's up to the printer's discretion.

Designers: some of you are good at what you do. Leave it at that and let prepress handle the PRE-PRESS.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Chelle

May other favorite? No hard copy of the piece so you have no idea what it is supposed to look like or how it is supposed to fold or go together.
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Stiv

I have gotten bit by customer spreads and crossover spreadeds so often I now redo them myself to be safe.

Another fav of mine is a separate doc for spot varnishes that don't line up. Hey make a varnish layer.

Or the varnish is set to Magenta instead of creating a new color. Or  :blowup: