Press Sheet Size

Started by frailer, June 01, 2009, 11:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Am re-visiting PREPS after a long absence. Thought that it was all set up to work to Press Sheet Size. When I print out, (talking .ps here), I get a "chopped off" file, (when viewed after Distilling). It's pretty much the lower left page on an 8 to view forme.
Attached screenshots...to try and help me in my "rehabilitation".   :embarrassed:

My memory of it being set up...some 2-3 years ago was for a Press Sheet with 20mm all round. That would give correct grip on the 'setter. It's what I've been using in Dynastrip.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Something is not right. Press Sheet Size should give you a .PS file the size of your template. Not sure about any border but I use Press Sheet Size everyday all day.

Try opening the PS file in Illustrator and see what size it is. If it's the right size then Distiller is the culprit. If it is the wrong size in Illy then something isn't right with your Preps.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Also you don't really need to use a border to give you the correct grip. You need to change one of the numbers in the "Punch" dialog from with the Device Configuration.

frailer

I get a full forme when it parses in Illy CS3. Even Distilling on my Mac with a different Distiller, (plus one level up)...small "page". Must be something about that .ps that's giving more than 1 Distiller a dud message, surely.   :undecided:  Just that Illy is able to ignore it.

mutter...mutter...'til tomorrow.    :banghead:

I'd flick you the file, but the f*^#@ng thing's a bit big in the .ps.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

tapdn

Good luck getting feedback over at Preps forum. Sometimes you do, sometimes...
Wish I could help (or at least grasp the problem). I know when we went to PDF workflow I wound up setting the print device size the same as plate size for every job. Preps templates set up same and layout centered in that.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Ear

Those screenshots look like they're missing something. Are you running CTP or film? If it's CTP, it seems strange to be interfacing the tiling box. I go to Device Configuration and create a custom page size that is the size of the plate. Then, I set the punch coordinates. My templates are the sheet size with the correct setback for the press. Ultimately, the device config is the plate size and it is manually entered.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DCurry

I think it is a Distiller issue. Happens to me if I print to a PostScript from InDesign using Device Independent and then distill a PDF. I believe there is a setting in the PDF Settings for a default page size that it will use if it is not getting the info it needs from the file itself. Try changing that to your press sheet size (or larger) to see if that helps.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

tapdn

exactly... what E said, but entered manually? What do you mean? Why not set up a print device in Preps as plate size and print file to that- know wot I mean
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

Ear

Sorry, kind of in a hurry on that post. I mean, instead of choosing "PageSize" in device configuration, you enter your plate size and punch coordinates manually in a custom page size then save it and simply choose it when printing that particular plate size. Here are a couple screen grabs of one of my plate sizes. I dictate sheet size in the specific template along with setback, just like stripping on the old light table.

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

tapdn

Ack, rite-o E.
Exactly how I do it. Just thought I was missing something there (as usual).  :wink:
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

Ear

No way eh! Spot on Tap, I just wasn't through my Dutch Bros all the way yet... brain still waking up.  :cheesy:

Looking back at frailer's first post, I do think it has to do with the auto page size and tiling combo. It sounds like it is trying to tile it.

Shouldn't be a problem with the actual ripped pages, they are just low rez placement files in most workflows. Preps is printing a .ps of it's marks and positioning into the workflow and the placement files are being replaced, in position, by the high rez pages before the final raster stage.

Joe

I used to do it the same way tap and E do by setting up different devices for the press and a custom page size the same size as the plate and then setting the punch coordinates for the gripper. I wasn't a big fan of having all those devices and it confused some people so now we use everything at PressSheetSize and everything is centered. PressSheeSize automatically outputs at the template size which are made to the plate size. The workflow is setup to move the plate file the proper distance/direction for the gripper. This way everyone always uses the same output device from Preps no matter the size of plate or the press it is running on.

And frailer...it's most definitely a distiller issue if that PS opens in Illy to the correct dimensions.

Ear

Interesting, Joe. How do you get the center sheet and side guide marks in the right place if the template size is to the plate and not the sheet? Smart Marks?

Joe

We don't put any side guides on the template. The center mark of the plate moves with everything else when it is moved for the gripper. We actually use it to determine the gripper distance is correct. Pressmen don't have any problems centering everything up this way. And yes, we use SmartMarks for everything. No static marks at all.

Ear

Cool. My pressmen would not be happy about not having side guides or center sheet marks that weren't in the center of the press sheet, otherwise it sounds good. The webs don't use sideguides unless they're running to the sheeter, then they want them too.