EAL cmyk type to 100k o'print?

Started by frailer, September 17, 2009, 01:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Moroons from HO...gave me press-ready PDFs, out of Indy, as per my JobOptions. Shoulda seen it. pre-flighted OK...proofed. Looks good.
All OK'd. Notice on 1st plates...cmyk type. Missed it. Go to Indy doc...load fonts...Type is set to Pantone DS Process Black. So, roughly, 78/63/63/63~c/m/y/k.    :banghead:     :banghead:   Whole job.

Is there an EAL that will selectively convert this, and, either separately, or at same time, get it to overprint? If so, I have achance of running it on the imposed PDFs and re-proofing.
The good news? There's time to do it.   But...    :tantrum:

...also, (gotta rush, it's 1730 here...), I'm using an old Acro 7 pre-flight, doesn't flag this problem. Is there one in Acro 9? Someone might know, and I can't look into it now...   

...I can do it on the imposed PDF formes. Select Similar>100K. Then change to O'Print. Not too bad. But there may be an easier way.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Since you have the Indy doc the easiest thing would be to change it to black there, make it overprint and export a new PDF.

But if you want to do it in the PDF here is an action list that will convert "PANTONE Black C" to Black and overprint it. You'll need to change the remap color at the front of it to your specific spot color that you want to change to black.

As far as the preflight, in Acrobat 9 it's almost limitless to what you can do. It just depends on how bad you want to do it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Thanks. Should I have that in my stock EAL list? Couldn't see such a beast, but may have missed it. Shall download when up there in the morning.
Want to avoid going back to scratch. Would rather run the EAL on the imposed, then reproof and check carefully. Quicker/safer, at this stage.

Bastids...and more fool me for missing it.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

tapdn

Hey Frailer Dude. I am a real simpleton with preflight. The simpler the better. My routine for checking this problem with customers who have been known to supply me PDFs with multi-color type is to open each page in Acrobat and in Pitstop Output preview turn off the black. Like I say, I have a knack for the obvious- but it works for me. Cheers.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Aaron

I do the exact same thing Tap. Take some time on those biggie files, but worth it.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Stiv

Since your 4C Black is a spot, can't you redefine or reassign it to Black and set it to OP in your RIP?

Joe

Quote from: frailer on September 17, 2009, 06:12:17 AMThanks. Should I have that in my stock EAL list? Couldn't see such a beast, but may have missed it. Shall download when up there in the morning.
Want to avoid going back to scratch. Would rather run the EAL on the imposed, then reproof and check carefully. Quicker/safer, at this stage.

Bastids...and more fool me for missing it.

No, it's a custom EAL I threw together. Also use Taps method for every page that comes through.

frailer

Thanks all...nothing has been lost on me from the above. Mea culpa, and I'm not even a lapsed catholic.    :embarrassed:     :embarrassed:   And stiv, I should check that out. They are still on the RIP. Could be just a re-RIP.    :undecided:

Just thinking about it over my triple-ristretto-with-skim...the genuises down the road did the "right" thing. They would have set "all spots to process" on Export. So RIP fix is out. Back to Joe's EAL. I do not want to start this job from scratch. but I don't think I'll have to.

frailer

Had to use "Select Similar"...convert to 100K that way. Because they'd "fried" the Spots at Export time...normally a good thing, the Spot identity was gone from the type. (see screenshot). Now just cmyk type.
The way I did it wasn't too arduous, given the nature of the problem.

Am looking at making an EAL to try and select all type+mixed cmyk...convert to 100K+Oprint. In the Editor, there doesn't seem to ba a way of selecting all type, generically. Maybe I've gotta try and select a bunch of type characteristics, then define what I want to do after that. A small project, but for later.

mattbeals

I think pdfToolbox will fix this right out of the box. Send me the PDF.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

frailer

...3.3 MB. PDF attached to an email...cheers Matt.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on September 17, 2009, 09:40:58 PMHad to use "Select Similar"...convert to 100K that way. Because they'd "fried" the Spots at Export time...normally a good thing, the Spot identity was gone from the type. (see screenshot). Now just cmyk type.
The way I did it wasn't too arduous, given the nature of the problem.

Am looking at making an EAL to try and select all type+mixed cmyk...convert to 100K+Oprint. In the Editor, there doesn't seem to ba a way of selecting all type, generically. Maybe I've gotta try and select a bunch of type characteristics, then define what I want to do after that. A small project, but for later.

You could change the EAL to use those CMYK values instead of the spot color. Just change the first line of the EAL, Remap Color, to look like the attached and it will convert anything with those values to Black only and set all type that is under 18 pt (changeable)  to overprint. All in one click for the page or the entire document. can't get much easier than that.

Also here is a modified EAL that will work for you.

frailer

Thanks Joe. So..that would have to be set up with those specific 1st.? But still, they're gonna be consistent through the job, anyway.
Had a nagging feeling it was  hidden not far away.   :laugh:  All a learning curve. Just downloaded and tested. Sure worked...   :cheesy:

Friday 1830 here...enough. It's all reproofed and half plated; for Monday.

Cheers

Joe

Yeah, if the next job came in with different values you would have to change them before running it but that's not hard to do. Glad you got it all fixed....or as Larry the Cable Guy would say, ya got 'er done! :laugh: