change B/W pdf to Spot color

Started by scalver2000, October 07, 2009, 10:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scalver2000

Th customer sent in a B/W pdf that they are going to print in PMS 371. I need to make them a proof in the PMS color. What is the BEST way to convert to a PMS color.

DigitalCrapShoveler

What applications do you have at your disposal? Do you have Pitstop?
Member #285 - Civilian

scalver2000

Joe

Your printer (inkjet I assume) probably doesn't do native spots anyway so it will be a crapshoot at best. For just a proof I would open the PDF in Photoshop and make a spot monotone image and proof it. Just one opinion of many more to come I'm sure.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

If there are images, Joe's idea is gonna be the easiest. If it's just type and vectors I would do a Global Color Change in Pitstop.
Member #285 - Civilian

scalver2000

Thank you Joe that worked out GREAT!!!

mattbeals

Oh bloody hell... This can be easily done with PitStop including the images.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Kinda where I started going with my line of questioning, but then realized, Pitstop isn't 100% fool proof in a production environment. Too many times I have come across images that are untouchable by Pitstop because of the way they are generated. Joe's method is the only fool proof method. After all, it's just a color proof that isn't going to be in the slightest bit accurate.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

We know, Matt. That was first mentioned in post #2. Unfortunately, not everyone is blessed with PitStop and the alternative methods mentioned here could come in handy for a lurker. Joe's idea has now been filed in the deep recesses of my gray matter.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 07, 2009, 04:19:52 PMKinda where I started going with my line of questioning, but then realized, Pitstop isn't 100% fool proof in a production environment. Too many times I have come across images that are untouchable by Pitstop because of the way they are generated. Joe's method is the only fool proof method. After all, it's just a color proof that isn't going to be in the slightest bit accurate.

Plus no one mentioned using the Photoshop file for output. I've done the Pitstop thing but remapping separations gives some crazy results with Pitstop as we've discussed before. This method was just the simple, fast way to get a proof out. Nothing more.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Plus, this is just to appease a client. If it were an actual file for plate, I would remap the black to the spot in question at the RIP stage.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

delooch

This reminds me, I tried something similar a few weeks back.

Lets visit

https://www.b4print.com/adobe-acrobat/convert-pages-to-greyscale/15/

and ill continue my question in the appropriate thread..

beermonster

cant ya just remap the black to spot at the proofing rip? - no messing, global changing, pissstop messing photoshop converting simpliciteeeeeee
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

frailer

Quote from: beermonster on October 08, 2009, 01:16:11 AMcant ya just remap the black to spot at the proofing rip? - no messing, global changing, pissstop messing photoshop converting simpliciteeeeeee

Another option beer; I know we can use Virtual Press in Black Magic. Do other proofing setups have similar? I guess they do...just curious.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.