Imposing 4 separate pdf's into a template

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, May 27, 2011, 05:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Just wondering if anyone has faced this challenge:

We're going to be getting pdf's in large numbers... we'd like to be able to automate 4 at a time into a template ie. 1,2,3,4 backed up properly. They will not be 4 page pdf's but separate ones. We'd also like to make this available on a PC or MAC upstairs and a PC downstairs. One guy we deal with says this doesn't exist, that all impo needs 4 pages together to work. We don't have time to do it all in preps (training etc) right now.

If this type of thing doesn't exitst, here is a market for someone to write a program and make a lot of cash!! It's way over our heads!

gnubler

A script to run a batch for joining single PDFs into one? Not sure if it would get the page order right, depending on what their files names are.

:huh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

yeah, it's doable, but as the gnub pointed out, names is the key.
The last time I used preps (about 20 something years ago), you could do auto imposing, but the page files had to have a certain naming convention.
Even with my Esko imposition software, it's pretty much the same.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

If you have all the pdfs, why not just use the 'combine' feature, and then order the list to make one pdf, then impo normally?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: DigiSig on May 27, 2011, 08:59:56 AMIf you have all the pdfs, why not just use the 'combine' feature, and then order the list to make one pdf, then impo normally?

I think he wants to automate something. Like drop 4 PDFs into a hot folder and have Acrobat combine them into one, in the right order.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

mattbeals

We can do this with Enfocus Switch and Quite Hot Imposing. Or you can manually combine them and use Quite Hot Imposing. Neither are "cheap"/free but we do it all the time.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Tracy

quite imposing will do it, that 5th page would have to be in the right spot for backup
assuming 1-4 are the fronts but you can shuffle if not. I have an older version of quite imposing
so the newer one might even have more features. I would check it out, it is costly but worth it.
Preps would be a quick way to go, but I don't output pdfs from preps myself except for dies.

frailer

Am guessing Quite Imposing would be a small fraction of the cost of most other high end imposition apps. Hundreds, rather than thousands.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Back in my Quark 3.x glory days we used to do automated imposition with Quark using a little Mac application called QuicKeys. You could program it via common mac commands and macros to do about anything. It was pretty slick.

QuicKeys 4 for Mac

$60.00
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

oooh, another possibility is in adobe' pdf multi page import for indesign
if you could get the pdf into 4 seperate pdfs in the order needed-
you could import the pdf 4 times in the position needed.

MarcDavis1

You really need to define "automate".  Do you  mean selecting 4 PDF files, pressing a hot key and whamo - a merged file in a predetermined location and file name?  Since you're manually selecting the files, there is no automation in that. 

With a program called Batch PDF Merger, you can simply drag the files into a window, rearrange them and bam - a single PDF File in seconds.  Much faster than Acrobat.  I think they now have a Mac version.

pspdfppdfxhd

we ended up just doing it in Acrobat..... it's working ok so it's not a big deal to automate it any further for the time being.