DCS2 file using vector workflow

Started by DHG, December 08, 2011, 03:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHG

We do not have support so I am reaching out to this forum in the hope that someone here can lead me in the right direction. Currently running Nexus 9.0.3. I have 2 workflows that create DCS2 files, one raster and the other vector. Problem I am having is the vector workflow does not hold the spot color, but the raster the raster workflow does. The Assemble DCS and Merge DCS modules in each workflow are identical. The raster workflow only creates the DCS2 file. The vector workflow also creates a PDF (high and low res), Artpro file and PSTI files along the DCS2. All the other files produced in the in the vector workflow retain the spot color. If I highlight the Assemble DCS and Merge DCS modules that the actual file is going through it still shows the spot color listed in the separations, but ultimately the spot color converts to process in the DCS2. Any clue where this may be going wrong?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Why use DCS files at all? Modern workflows do not require postscript, so my question to you would be, why not use PSDs with spot channels? If you do the research, you will find a multitude of problems with DCS and DCS2 files with any software newer then 10 years or so. Maybe I'm not understanding your problem.
Member #285 - Civilian

DHG

Using DCS2 because that is what the printer requires, trapped DCS2. They will not except any other file format.

DigiCorn

Quote from: DHG on December 08, 2011, 03:56:17 PMUsing DCS2 because that is what the printer requires, trapped DCS2. They will not except any other file format.
Switch it to multichannel and save as .eps
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 08, 2011, 04:00:50 PM
Quote from: DHG on December 08, 2011, 03:56:17 PMUsing DCS2 because that is what the printer requires, trapped DCS2. They will not except any other file format.
Switch it to multichannel and save as .eps

I doubt that will work, either. It used to, but modern software today usually does what he described above.

A printer that requires trapped DCS2 files? Who's running that place, Fred Flintstone?
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

If it's raster art and it's a duotone, does it really need trapping? I think not... maybe if it had objects butting up against one another that were all of one color it should trap... but a true raster image shouldn't need trapping.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: DHG on December 08, 2011, 03:26:29 PMWe do not have support so I am reaching out to this forum in the hope that someone here can lead me in the right direction. Currently running Nexus 9.0.3. I have 2 workflows that create DCS2 files, one raster and the other vector. Problem I am having is the vector workflow does not hold the spot color, but the raster the raster workflow does. The Assemble DCS and Merge DCS modules in each workflow are identical. The raster workflow only creates the DCS2 file. The vector workflow also creates a PDF (high and low res), Artpro file and PSTI files along the DCS2. All the other files produced in the in the vector workflow retain the spot color. If I highlight the Assemble DCS and Merge DCS modules that the actual file is going through it still shows the spot color listed in the separations, but ultimately the spot color converts to process in the DCS2. Any clue where this may be going wrong?

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 08, 2011, 04:06:40 PMA printer that requires trapped DCS2 files? Who's running that place, Fred Flintstone?
Maybe I misunderstood as well. Is this a buy-out (subbed to another shop) or is it your imagesetter/workflow that requires this kind of file? It sounds really old school, like you're going to output high-quality lasers and shoot it to film... but a good cameraman can spread for trap when shooting to film.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Using today's methods, I don't really know how to get a DCS2 file to run properly in almost all apps. Believe it or not, Quark is about the only one that would handle DCS2 files correctly, however, that was back in version 5. PSDs are about the only way to maintain spots out of Photoshop, any other way is archaic and does not work like it used to, multichannel or not.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

in Prinergy world, DCS2 = output and refine using OPI
Does not answer the question I think, though.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

Does anyone still use OPI? What would be the need with RIPs being as fast as they are today?
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 08, 2011, 05:38:16 PMDoes anyone still use OPI? What would be the need with RIPs being as fast as they are today?

I only use it with DCS2 placed art as it does not come out correctly without - at least I've never been able to get it to work.  Co-worker dezinger uses it for big graphics heavy books as it gets the application finished with export a lot quicker, letting the rip do all the file moving. Net processing time is slower but he's out of the file and into another one quicker because the export goes quicker. I suppose not much of an issue with cs5+ but that's what he do.
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

Is his name Fred Flintstone? :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DHG on December 08, 2011, 03:26:29 PMWe do not have support so I am reaching out to this forum in the hope that someone here can lead me in the right direction. Currently running Nexus 9.0.3. I have 2 workflows that create DCS2 files, one raster and the other vector. Problem I am having is the vector workflow does not hold the spot color, but the raster the raster workflow does. The Assemble DCS and Merge DCS modules in each workflow are identical. The raster workflow only creates the DCS2 file. The vector workflow also creates a PDF (high and low res), Artpro file and PSTI files along the DCS2. All the other files produced in the in the vector workflow retain the spot color. If I highlight the Assemble DCS and Merge DCS modules that the actual file is going through it still shows the spot color listed in the separations, but ultimately the spot color converts to process in the DCS2. Any clue where this may be going wrong?

Does the original file have transparency in it? It could be when it is flattened it converts the spots to process. Old processes like this really do not understand a combination of transparency and spot colors. I haven't used Nexus for a couple of years now so I'm not going to be much help. G-Town will probably chime in tomorrow. I think he is about the last Nexus user around here.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on December 08, 2011, 07:56:12 PM

Does the original file have transparency in it? It could be when it is flattened it converts the spots to process. Old processes like this really do not understand a combination of transparency and spot colors. I haven't used Nexus for a couple of years now so I'm not going to be much help. G-Town will probably chime in tomorrow. I think he is about the last Nexus user around here.

Hey it's not like I'm still rocking a Scitex VIP rip  :whip:

DHG upload your workflow to sendfile, or sendspace or one of them damn places and I'll take a look.

t-pat

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on December 08, 2011, 05:42:38 PMIs his name Fred Flintstone? :laugh:

no but he kinda looks like barney rubble in business casual now that you mention it. :lmao:
vdp donkey