Device setup-Device configuration

Started by jimking, October 22, 2012, 08:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

This post is a continuation of a previous post  https://www.b4print.com/index.php?topic=6876.0 I wanted this post to stand out. My issues are close to being resolved as far as making and mapping the pjtf. My issue now is when I create the pjtf from the template it looses the template's attributes. One can view the results when viewing the pages in the template in Apogee.

In Preps when choosing the new pjtf I get a warning message that says: "The media size of the targeted device is smaller than the press sheet size of one or more signatures."

This leads me to believe it is a "device setup" issue which resides in Preps menu bar under setup. "Device configuration" is then chosen from the "Device setup" window. Can someone please send me their settings in this "Device configuration" window or a snapshot at least?

This software resides on a Mac G-5  OS 10.4.11

Thanks

jim

Joe

The numbers from another persons devices probably won't work for you unless they have the same exact press with the same exact settings for positioning the work on the plate.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jimking

That is what I'm thinking. The default was 2x3". I was able to resurect the original Preps that was copied over from the crashed computer but the numbers still do not look correct. What I was hoping to do is use someones setup and see if I can stumble through it and get lucky. I have been in contact with Afga, have paid for service. They will not have nothing to do preps. Lousy CS.

Joe

So you have it all working except getting the template positioned on the plate correctly? I would use PressSheetSize (that will eliminate that error) and either move the imposition in the template or shift everything in Apogee to position it.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on October 22, 2012, 01:12:13 PMSo you have it all working except getting the template positioned on the plate correctly? I would use PressSheetSize (that will eliminate that error) and either move the imposition in the template or shift everything in Apogee to position it.

I second that emotion. We switched to this scheme and it avoids a lot of having to remember to set the media to whatever device it is for.
Any .pjtfs you have from before you did this will need to be remade.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

jimking

Joe, I'm going to plug in sizes to see what I end up with. My concern is the different presses and stock sizes. Yes, everything is working except the size and position.

t-pat, I've been using the old pjtfs for sometime now with no issues at all. The reloaded preps device settings are at their defaults. The default size is set at 2x3", so it seems the old pjtfs retains the correct info. However, I did resurrect the old Preps and those settings do not work either making new pjtfs. The crashing of the old computer (it died, IT folks copied everything to the newer G5) ditched the device settings for some reason.

t-pat

if we use our old pjtfs with the old media sizes they have the edge of plate offset applied, then it gets applied again in Prinergy. Some pressmen really don't appreciate jumping cylinders 1.5".

:homer: Can't understand why.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

True on the old pjtfs not working but Jim isn't applying any offsets in his workflow (Apogee).

Jim, it would actually simplify your setup to use presssheetsize. Then everything would be centered and you can apply the offset for each individual press or sheet size at output.

But I'll look and see if we have any of our old devices saved and post a screen shot here if we do. The numbers you enter make absolutely no sense on how far you need to move it either. Meaning if it needs to move 1" the number you enter will not be anything close to 1". It's weird how it works.

jimking

Joe

Quote from: jimking on October 23, 2012, 02:37:39 PMThanks joe, I appreciate it.

Couldn't find any of our old devices. Here is a thread that has some screen shots. That's all I got. The way I always got the numbers was trial and error. Enter a number, output an imposed PDF. Measure. Change the number. Rinse, lather, repeat as necessary.

https://www.b4print.com/index.php?topic=3507.0

jimking

Thanks Joe, those pics are a heck of a start! I'll let you know how it works out as soon as I catch up with everything else.

jimking

Quote from: Joe on October 23, 2012, 10:02:08 AMTrue on the old pjtfs not working but Jim isn't applying any offsets in his workflow (Apogee).

Jim, it would actually simplify your setup to use presssheetsize. Then everything would be centered and you can apply the offset for each individual press or sheet size at output.

But I'll look and see if we have any of our old devices saved and post a screen shot here if we do. The numbers you enter make absolutely no sense on how far you need to move it either. Meaning if it needs to move 1" the number you enter will not be anything close to 1". It's weird how it works.

Joe, in the "Device Configuration" I made a "custom size" of "20x28" and sure enough I was able to rip and see all crop marks, color bar, side guides etc. However, I'm unable to select "Press Sheet Size" because it's not in the drop down menu to choose from. I did locate the file in two places  "PressSheetSize.ppd"  in  "Applications/Preps 5.3.3/Printers/PPD"  and  "Mac/Applications/Printers/PPD".

I did click on the PressSheetSize.ppd, and in its attributes it lists "Variable page size--true". I also located directions I wrote down a couple of years ago, but do not remember the details except that it was an earlier computer crash I was able to get out from under. Those directions indicate PressSheetSize.ppd is what I need to get loaded in order for everything to work (hopefully).

There seems to be dozens of folders this file can go into, and all the directions I've read pertaining to loading this ppd in its proper folder seem to generate from a zip file in which a utility places the file in its proper place, these two files are not zip files and I have no clue in which to place these files in order to select it in the "Page Size" drop down menu--- from Preps Device Configuration window. Any help would greatly be appreciated!!!  :hot2:

Joe

I'll have to look at our Preps 5 config at work this evening Jim and get back to you.

jimking

jimking

Joe, did you ever check out your Preps at work?  :popcorn: