QuarkXPress Document Converter

Started by hotmetal, November 19, 2014, 10:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotmetal

This was posted in Quark downloads on October 14th. I just heard about it this morning from a Quark customer service person.

http://www.quark.com/Support/Downloads/Search_Results.aspx?pid=1&oid=2&ftid=3

I'll have to go upstairs later to my wife's PC to test it out. My early MacPro stops at Lion. But it supposedly works in Windows 7.

I've got a shitload of files from my recent book projects to throw at this!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

David

oooh yah!
convert a Q3 file to Q9, what joy.

Honestly, I never know you couldn't open a Q3 file in Q9, I mean you can open an ID2 file in ID CC2014, why not do the same in Quark?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

Thanks, HM. Now I can delete some of these older versions I kept around just for saving up older files.
Member #285 - Civilian

Slappy

A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on November 19, 2014, 02:13:34 PMInteresting, I prefer this converter though. /troll

And then charge every customer that uses Quark the full price of the software ($199.00) for each conversion. :evil:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

hotmetal

Quote from: Joe on November 19, 2014, 02:15:59 PM
Quote from: Slappy on November 19, 2014, 02:13:34 PMInteresting, I prefer this converter though. /troll

And then charge every customer that uses Quark the full price of the software ($199.00) for each conversion. :evil:

Wait, have you guys been using this markyzware converter all along? Does it actually work?
Hunter S. Thompson

Joe

I personally have not used it but my understanding is that it it is the best option out there.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Yes, have it. Used it occasionally, but my version's getting on a bit. It works. Need to check type reflows, Links... everything, really, but it puts the bones of an Indy Doc on your Desktop.
I rate it value for money if you use it a few times...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

hotmetal

Quote from: Joe on November 19, 2014, 07:58:03 PMI personally have not used it but my understanding is that it it is the best option out there.

The new Quark --> Quark converter just came out last month. The new guard at Quark really wants to pull out of the nose dive they've been in, and I think they finally caught on that they'd rather you convert old Quark files to new Quark files than convert them to Indesign. In my case, turning the books I'm bringing forward from Quark 6 into Indesign won't fly. The original designers of those books weren't pleased that I brought them all the way from 6 to 10, but they grudgingly had to accept what I'd done when I uploaded my final files to them. I picture them working in a bright shiny design studio (in the U.K.) on ancient steam-powered Macs with Quark 6. The publisher is in Minnesota. The U.K. designers are one of their strategic partners.

I mentioned the markzware converter and suggested moving everything to Indesign and they didn't like that idea at all. Meanwhile, I have become their go-to guy for all these files. It's not that bad, really! All you need is lots of ram and an open MacGyver-like mind...
Hunter S. Thompson