News:

Main Menu

New iMac Pro

Started by Joe, June 08, 2017, 08:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Possum on June 08, 2017, 09:05:39 AMAnd how many eggs will it fry at one time?

My 2010 iMac seems hot enough along the top to fry an egg. Wait, it's not wide enough.... maybe a  :drunk3: piece of bacon?

(bacon = meat candy).

:drunk3:

Santa

The configuration attached will run all the needs of ANY pre-press environment for quite some time. 

The new "Pro" models are really if you are doing 3D rendering in real time, Solid Works, any type of VR, or major code compiling. 

It also fits perfect into any form of major broadcasting. An 18 core with matching graphics card would allow you to drop HD Graphics, in real time on a multi display 1080P display. Think of any major sports broadcast with score overlays happening in real time and that is the customer.

For the rest of us we get an awesome machine for $1699 that should last 5-7 years.

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on June 08, 2017, 09:08:02 AM
Quote from: Possum on June 08, 2017, 09:05:39 AMAnd how many eggs will it fry at one time?

My 2010 iMac seems hot enough along the top to fry an egg. Wait, it's not wide enough.... maybe a  :drunk3: piece of bacon?

(bacon = meat candy).

Anything below the 2013 model is H-O-T! The 2012 I had also served as a space heater in the winter. It eventually fried itself and Apple replaced it with a 2013 model. My 2013 iMac doesn't even get warm.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Here, here!  :drunk3:

I think THAT just about says it all.

But I am sure there are more comments coming anyway.

Joe

Quote from: Santa on June 08, 2017, 09:08:58 AMThe configuration attached will run all the needs of ANY pre-press environment for quite some time.

The new "Pro" models are really if you are doing 3D rendering in real time, Solid Works, any type of VR, or major code compiling.

It also fits perfect into any form of major broadcasting. An 18 core with matching graphics card would allow you to drop HD Graphics, in real time on a multi display 1080P display. Think of any major sports broadcast with score overlays happening in real time and that is the customer.

For the rest of us we get an awesome machine for $1699 that should last 5-7 years.

Agreed though I would at least double that RAM if you are running CC 2017. Or quadruple it if the cash is available.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on June 08, 2017, 09:12:06 AM

(bacon = meat candy).

Anything below the 2013 model is H-O-T! The 2012 I had also served as a space heater in the winter. It eventually fried itself and Apple replaced it with a 2013 model. My 2013 iMac doesn't even get warm.

Yeah, it's nice to have in the winter, but not in the summer.

If I sit too close I might get a burn mark across my forehead!

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on June 08, 2017, 09:13:20 AM
Quote from: Santa on June 08, 2017, 09:08:58 AMThe configuration attached will run all the needs of ANY pre-press environment for quite some time.

Agreed though I would at least double that RAM if you are running CC 2017. Or quadruple it if the cash is available.

True enough, I have 16GB on my iMac and once in a while run out of system memory. I'd look for a MINIMUM

pspdfppdfxhd

Joe

pspdfppdfxhd

Naw, my little finger started twitching and hitting the return button.

:drunk3:  :drunk3:

Ahh, that's better.

What I was TRYING to say was I'd be looking for a bare minimum 16GB hopefully more.

Santa

Quote from: Joe on June 08, 2017, 09:13:20 AM

All 27 inches have user replaceable ram so I usually go with stock and then upgrade via crucial.com when needed.

The new one goes to 32gb and by the time I need that crucial will probably be selling it for $20 per 8gb..lol

pspdfppdfxhd

Here is my Activity monitor right now, using 7GB and nothing much is going on. Once Indesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, Illustrator start getting used alot, the memory use starts blowing up like a balloon.

pspdfppdfxhd

Is there any way to take a screen shot when you go "command-tab" to show how many apps you have open?

Farabomb

(bacon = meat candy).

Bacon + Maple Syrup = meat candy.

Cook bacon in oven or pan at low temp (cast iron as low as the burner can go) to get it crisp on the outside but chewy on the inside. Toss bacon in maple syrup and bake in oven to caramelize syrup. Call pharmacy to refill lipitor and enjoy.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on June 08, 2017, 09:55:15 AMIs there any way to take a screen shot when you go "command-tab" to show how many apps you have open?

Be really, really fast! :rotf:

(Yes I can not be a smartass if I try!)