Advice and suggestiongs on two sided impo proofing

Started by scottrsimons, December 13, 2017, 08:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottrsimons

We are looking at replacing out Epson Stylus Pro 9900 that we use for our IMPO book proofer, which we load cut sheets into to mimic the press sheets. It's getting old :old:, and lines ( which we all know means a new head at this point, too many cleanings and still not fixed ). It's been out of warranty for almost 3 years, so time for a new one.

But since workload has increased so much, it's finally time to look at the two sided options. A couple we've heard of are DJet, and IMPOProofer.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Tracy

We had a discussion about proofers here (hope I linked it right)

https://www.b4print.com/index.php?topic=9334.msg296299#msg296299

It was about XMF but it went into 2 sided proofing

AaronH

We had a Canon IMPOproofer (it was basically two Canon Impographs facing each other) at my last shop. It was great, the backup can be finicky though but was usually within 1/16th of an inch. If you're busy enough to keep it going that's great, otherwise, you have to was two slots on the roll to feed a single 2 sided proof through the machine. My old shop was leaning toward flexo and only has a single 40" press now so we were wasting paper on it like crazy.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

scottrsimons

Well, I have an update. The powers that be decided to go with IMPOProofer, and it is being installed as I type now. I will update later with more info, when I have. First impression, is that it seems to take up a huge amount of floor space, from what we were told. But we will see.

Joe

I am interested in how you like it once you get it running. We're considering a printer and maybe a 2 sided printer.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

The extra floorspace is accounting for the operator that needs to babysit it 24/7.  ;D
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Quote from: Farabomb on January 03, 2018, 09:54:24 AMThe extra floorspace is accounting for the operator that needs to babysit it 24/7.  ;D

oh, you mean Otto?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

scottrsimons

Full install update and before full on use. We have the older base that is HUGE! But with 2 new Canon iPF8400SEs. Overall it is quite impressive. How it is setup and operates is quite interesting and clever. The software is pretty easy to get around and figure out (for the most part, but not everything). Some parts of it, seem a bit dated even for the current version. I can see paper waste being an issue if one is not careful, but time will tell for our situation and setup. I will give you more details after some usage.

flyingace

Quote from: scottrsimons on January 05, 2018, 11:13:32 AMFull install update and before full on use. We have the older base that is HUGE! But with 2 new Canon iPF8400SEs. Overall it is quite impressive. How it is setup and operates is quite interesting and clever. The software is pretty easy to get around and figure out (for the most part, but not everything). Some parts of it, seem a bit dated even for the current version. I can see paper waste being an issue if one is not careful, but time will tell for our situation and setup. I will give you more details after some usage.

We have been running an impoProof for about 4 years now. Based on Canon ipf815 printers. Ours is actually going to be upgraded to the 8400se printers with a new computer and software next week, so it will be identical to yours. Ours replaced a pair of kodak 43w proofers that we ran the crap out of far passed their service life. (those things were tanks)

Ill tell you what, we used to do a a catalog that was about 74 signatures of 16 pagers. That thing took 2-3 full shifts to proof on the 43wides (one side at a time, with an operator standing by the whole time to flip the paper). On the impo proof it was done in a couple hours and the only thing we needed to do was empty the catch bin occasionally so it did not fill up, and put a new roll of paper in when it ran out.  It was a HUGE difference.

What Ive learned over the years:

1. Registration will never be perfect. Don't kill yourself trying. If its within .625 fairly consistently, your doing well. (thats based on my older equipment, the new stuff may do better)

2. Reducing the amount of ink its laying down, done in the calibration tools, will improve the backup. The less soggy the paper gets, the more it lays flat and the better registration is. Mine are calibrated to be somewhat washed out. Its not a color accurate proof anyway, and I would just as soon nobody mistake it for one.

3. When it gets out of sync, and it will sometimes, its almost impossible to recover. Just cut the paper on printer one, clear the queue, rethread the thing, and start over.

Its not a perfect machine, sometimes it will agrevate the crap out of you, and sometimes you will think its dumber than a box of rocks, but its the best solution out there, and way better than flipping paper all day.

scottrsimons

Month of use update. Overall we really like this.

Pros:
  • This is WAY better than manually flipping paper.
  • More consistent backups than manually flipping paper.
  • Better use of employee's time. Instead of hearing someone say "your proof is up", or forgetting to flip the paper for a while. This thing just keeps on cranking them out. **This is HUGE!!**
  • I've had to talk to tech support on a couple of minor things, and they are quite helpful, and willing to login to your machine and get things fixed.
  • Even though it is three devices: PC, and 2 printers, it only takes on IP on the network. Not a big deal, but it is nice.
  • In theory there should be cost savings in paper in the long run. Before our sheets of paper where 32"x42" and no matter the size of the IMPO we would use a sheet. Sometimes, for 14"x20" layouts we would rotate the sheet to get twice as many layouts out on one sheet. But the IMPOProofer wastes about 3" per form when printing.
  • There will also be an ink savings, as we were using an Epson StylusPro 9900 with 11 tanks, and the Canon's only have 6 tanks. I know ( some might say ) the color might not be as nice as the Epson, but for book proofs, it will be fine.

Cons:
  • The base takes up a lot of floor space.
  • I mean a LOT of floor space.
  • The catch bin is not designed for this model printer (Canon iPF 8400se) on the older base, so we fabed our own catch bin, which is working really well.
  • Loading paper is a bit of a task, and getting printers lined up during the process, we have found to be a bit more challenging than one would expect. But it's just a learning curve of what to watch out for.
  • If you need to get a "hot" proof out, you are going to waste some paper. About 2 - 28"x40" forms to get your one hot one out.

Hope this info, helps someone out there.

And flyingace, if you message me, I will send you a picture of what we did with our catch bin.

Farabomb

Just tell sales you can't do on demand proofs because of (insert some technical term here).

The second they know they can get something last minute, they'll ask for it every time and want even more.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

That actually sounds pretty cool! Can you post a pic of the printer(s) setup? I'm oddly curious how massive it is all assembled.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.