iStock type site for art?

Started by wonderings, December 21, 2017, 08:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderings

So this is a personal question, I was looking at some art for my new house. They can be $400+ in the sizes I want. Now I have my own wide format printer in a print shop so why would I want to pay someone else to print something I can? The problem is getting the artwork. I would happily pay for a digital copy, but cannot seem to find anything like iStock for fine art, I am assuming there are serious license issues and that is why they are not being sold or my googling is just not that good.

I am particularly about resolution, so grabbing something off google images is just not good enough. Am I out of luck without some expensive license or does anyone know where I can buy these files as I would from iStock? 

The specific piece I am looking for is by Winslow Homer "Canoe in the rapids"

Farabomb

Google image search?

I know there is a post with a few good sites but not sure if it's what you're looking for.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I doubt artists want to use a service like that for their work because you know the internet. There would be people mass producing their art. You can buy a 16" x 24" print here for $39.69.

Winslow Homer "Canoe in the Rapids"
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on December 21, 2017, 09:01:18 AMI doubt artists want to use a service like that for their work because you know the internet. There would be people mass producing their art. You can buy a 16" x 24" print here for $39.69.

Winslow Homer "Canoe in the Rapids"

I get any artists alive would not want that, I am talking about artists long dead. I am also looking for much larger, in the 40" to 60" width range which I could buy a roll of paper for my Epson for that much with change to spare.

ninjaPB_43

I think since your use is for personal - you'd be able to get a copy from these guys... https://www.harvardartmuseums.org/imagerequest

https://www.harvardartmuseums.org/art/306171
"Acquisition and Rights
Credit Line
Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Louise E. Bettens Fund
Accession Year
Object Number
Division
European and American Art
Contact
am_europeanamerican@harvard.edu
The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request."
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

wonderings

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on December 21, 2017, 10:19:25 AMI think since your use is for personal - you'd be able to get a copy from these guys... https://www.harvardartmuseums.org/imagerequest

https://www.harvardartmuseums.org/art/306171
"Acquisition and Rights
Credit Line
Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Louise E. Bettens Fund
Accession Year
Object Number
Division
European and American Art
Contact
am_europeanamerican@harvard.edu
The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request."

Thanks I will check that out