News:

Main Menu

WebRoot

Started by Tracy, March 06, 2018, 09:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum

Yeah, it would be nice if somebody had some good news for a change.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Possum on March 07, 2018, 03:35:22 PMYeah, it would be nice if somebody had some good news for a change.
I just saved 15% or more in less than 15 minutes by calling GEICO.

[edit] Actually, just got my taxes back from the CPA, and for the 3rd year in a row I got a 5-figure refund.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 07, 2018, 03:38:58 PM
Quote from: Possum on March 07, 2018, 03:35:22 PMYeah, it would be nice if somebody had some good news for a change.
I just saved 15% or more in less than 15 minutes by calling GEICO.

[edit] Actually, just got my taxes back from the CPA, and for the 3rd year in a row I got a 5-figure refund.

Me too. $100.01. :rotf:

Actually I'm lying. I owe Uncle Sam again. Didn't I just get a tax cut? :wtf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

1st time since I don't know when I'm getting money back almost $3000.00
and I saved like I was going to have to pay that $2000.00 again
Need to get a new Furnace tho, Boo!

DigiCorn

My buddy does HVAC. He quoted me $5,000 friend price to replace everything. (We got a quote for almost $9,000 from a brick-and-morter). That's what we're doing with the money.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

Quote from: Ear on March 07, 2018, 03:05:35 PMYes, Webroot is malware, in my experience. How do you know you had a virus? A couple of people I helped claimed no knowledge of how it got there (yeah right) and the others paid for it when an internet popup told them they had a virus and they had to buy Webroot to handle it. I think it's a scam.

I have removed it from multiple machines and their problems cleared up like magik.... malware says I!

:git off mah lawn:
hmm this is interesting, I had a malware a couple years ago, I downloaded the "current adobe flash player"
yeah I'm that dumb, I got the malware bytes and it too care of it, Our whole company has webroot, It's a paid version
not a free one, I haven't had any issues but I will keep my eye out for problems. I think my Malware Bytes is not current
does this matter? I think they want me to buy a version, I'm using the free one.

Tracy

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 07, 2018, 04:08:12 PMMy buddy does HVAC. He quoted me $5,000 friend price to replace everything. (We got a quote for almost $9,000 from a brick-and-morter). That's what we're doing with the money.
What are you buying for that much? sheesh I'm thinking $3000 for a furnace tops.
or $2000 and have some play money :laugh:

DigiCorn

Depends on the size. I think we need a 4 ton unit. This is for furnace, compressor, and new venting. It can cost upwards of $15k
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on March 07, 2018, 04:10:11 PM
Quote from: Ear on March 07, 2018, 03:05:35 PMYes, Webroot is malware, in my experience. How do you know you had a virus? A couple of people I helped claimed no knowledge of how it got there (yeah right) and the others paid for it when an internet popup told them they had a virus and they had to buy Webroot to handle it. I think it's a scam.

I have removed it from multiple machines and their problems cleared up like magik.... malware says I!

:git off mah lawn:
hmm this is interesting, I had a malware a couple years ago, I downloaded the "current adobe flash player"
yeah I'm that dumb, I got the malware bytes and it too care of it, Our whole company has webroot, It's a paid version
not a free one, I haven't had any issues but I will keep my eye out for problems. I think my Malware Bytes is not current
does this matter? I think they want me to buy a version, I'm using the free one.

MalwareBytes is getting bad about trying to get you to 'upgrade' to the premium version. You can still update the free one and it will fix problems. It won't prevent them though. You have to have the Pro version to prevent the problems.

Ear

I don't use third party security on the Macs and have yet to have malware on any of my machines in 30+ years of Mac use.  

A couple of acquaintances, but usually from the flash player popup trick, or another trick to get you to grant permission for spying. If you don't authorize it, it can't come play on your Mac. Adware, Flash, Java... you might miss getting to click on cute crap but at least your mouse won't turn purple and burn when you click. Facebewk and Gewgle are spyware too but we all seem to be okay with it because they usually don't slow our machines down.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

I don't even use 3rd party antivirus on Windows either. If you don't do stupid shit on it you won't get bit.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on March 08, 2018, 08:05:19 AMI don't even use 3rd party antivirus on Windows either. If you don't do stupid shit on it you won't get bit.

LOL! truth.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Tracy

In 13 years I only got 1 malware, that's pretty good right?
I'm actually pretty suspicious about the internet so I'm cautious
It was just the 1 time dang it :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on March 08, 2018, 10:31:27 AMIn 13 years I only got 1 malware, that's pretty good right?
I'm actually pretty suspicious about the internet so I'm cautious
It was just the 1 time dang it :laugh:

No that isn't bad. I refer to the ones that get one malware every 44 seconds. And then expect me to fix it. The one they always fall for is the popup that says, "You have a virus and if you do anything other than giving me full admin control of your computer everything in your life will be deleted". Naturally they always click OK and then relax with a deep sigh of relief, "Whew, that was close"...and when I ask what happened they say "nothing".

:facepalm:

Tracy

:laugh: Thanks Joe!

As soon as I clicked on it I knew, Malware Bytes got it out of my system, tho.

I would like to meet these people that come up with this stuff, they have to complete jerks to live with/work with.