News:

Main Menu

Print Shop Mail

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, October 22, 2008, 01:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this program, we're just getting into it.

For the life of me I can't figure out the bleeds when stepping up single pdfs. I could be missing something or the program is defective.

David

Don't use it myself, but on their web site it list those features you mentioned:

QuoteDesign
    * Use any design application
    * Variable text
    * Any font in any color and any size
    * Linespacing & Skip empty lines
    * Word wrap
    * Copy fit: shrink text to fit in designated area
    * Variable images and signatures in all major file formats
    * Change text & images properties
    * Bleed & cropmarks
    * Rotation
    * Sizing (measurements, fit to screen preview, zoom, resizing)

Printing
    * Instant preview
    * Verify & preflight print job
    * Barcode printing
    * Serialization and crash numbering
    * Step & Repeat (Multi-up)
    * Printing layout & stacking order
    * Label printing
    * Multi page printing
    * Paper tray selection (depending on print device)
    * Duplex printing
    * Page Picking in multi-page designs
    * Subset finishing
    * Split job function
    * Open Prepress Interface (OPI)
    * Automatic Picture Replacement (APR)
    * Save for re-printing or remote printing
    * Automated print workflow

It seems to have a lot of functionality, did you get the training or the DIY kit?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

EmptyWords

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on October 22, 2008, 01:15:56 PMJust wondering if anyone has dealt with this program, we're just getting into it.

For the life of me I can't figure out the bleeds when stepping up single pdfs. I could be missing something or the program is defective.

We have PSM and use it everyday, I am not the operator of the software so, as far as I know, your pdf file has to have the bleed built in, your file placed into PSM needs to be exact size including bleed, you cannot add the bleed within PSM. Someone with more knowledge using the software may have another way to do it, but that is always how we have had to get bleed in stepped files.
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

pspdfppdfxhd

thanks, but I find it (so far) very "MICROSOFTISH" in that it doesn't quite work in the way of the other prepress software we've used in this business. Maybe I'm missing something here and it's not so bad but using the old "prepress" knowledge it's just not adding up as of yet. If I find any answers I'll post them here.

pspdfppdfxhd

Okay, turns out we can send the whole  job (example 50 pages, variable data) from the Mac and then handle the imposition at the CREO rip. It recognizes page boxes (which print shop mail does not seem to do) so although I haven't seemed to figure out the problem in printshop mail, it seems we don't have to worry about it!

Couldn't BELIEVE that it worked!!

pspdfppdfxhd

Anyone know how to edit individual records without effecting the whole lot? I  mean we have about 1500 addresses and about 10 need to be reflowed on an individual basis....

Here we go again, learning on the fly!!!

The Stevinator

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on October 22, 2008, 01:15:56 PMJust wondering if anyone has dealt with this program, we're just getting into it.

The program is defective.  We had it at my old shop and it really sucked trying to do any job in printshop mail with bleeds!  Most of the time we would just do the VD in YoursTruly Quack version.

Another option would be to output a 1 up PDF with bleeds all around and impose in acrobat with your choice of 3rd party PDF editors.

I would look at other software personally.
SJM

The Stevinator

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on October 27, 2008, 08:13:45 AMAnyone know how to edit individual records without effecting the whole lot? I  mean we have about 1500 addresses and about 10 need to be reflowed on an individual basis....

Here we go again, learning on the fly!!!

The best way to do this is to find a defining characteristic that all those 10 share.  For example they all have addresses are longer than 50 characters.  Then, right a if or ifelse statement Rule for that variable field.  Then export your job again.  That should do it.

We did a similar thing for the package and endorsement field of our mail pieces.  The statement went something like, if there is no endorsement don't show package.  If there is a endoresment, show package.  Something like that.  It's been awhile since I've had to do any of that stuff now that I'm in Project Management.
SJM

pspdfppdfxhd

Okay, thanks Stevinator, I catch the drift sounds like a pain in the ass very ITish....

The Stevinator

yeah, it's much more of a computer programming side of printing.  rather than graphics side.  i'm sure you'll get it though, just do a little research and think logically.  anyone who is good at prepress i think has the aptitude to do some programming.
SJM

gnubler

Quote from: The Stevinator on October 28, 2008, 07:26:46 AMyeah, it's much more of a computer programming side of printing.  rather than graphics side.  i'm sure you'll get it though, just do a little research and think logically.  anyone who is good at prepress i think has the aptitude to do some programming.

Like you? I love a man who can manage projects.  :kiss: Wait - I'm a dude. I shouldn't be sayin' this out loud.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david