Proofing with Fiery XF 7 using Epson SureColor SC-P5000 - Need help

Started by metlife, April 26, 2023, 03:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metlife

Hello.
Can I ask you for help in correct profiling the Epson SureColor SC-P5000 Violet Spectro 240v printer using
Fiery XF version 7? We bought a Fiery XF, but apparently the gentleman who sold us the software was unable to help
us profile the printer in HT mode (Half Tone, attached Screen1 section 1 option "Printer Type"). Would anyone of you
be able to help me profile the above-mentioned printer in this mode, by the way, explaining the individual options
marked on the attached screenshots? I would like to understand what this option is for and what it affects. I have too
little knowledge to carry out this process in HT (HalfTone) mode instead of CT (Contone). The question is whether
having such a printer makes sense to profile it in HT mode? We would like to be able to reflect the largest possible
gamut of CMYK and Pantone spot colors. To measure all printed charts, we use SpectroProofer that is built in this Epson
printer. We would like to achieve near-perfect colour matching of up to 99% of Pantone Solid Coated Colours as it says
on Epson website with this printer.
In our company we print in offset using the "IsoCoated v2 300" standard.
I'd be grateful for any help on this subject.

DCurry

Can't help you with the details, but I can say that I've never worked anywhere that proofs on an inkjet using halftone screens. I would think that it's pointless to use halftone screens in this way UNLESS you are using the exact same screening as your RIP will use to image the plates. And as far as I know, the only way to guarantee that is to send screened separation TIFs from your RIP to the proofer. Even then, you have to ensure you're using the same settings that you would use to send to your platesetter.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

johnny_jay

We use Fiery XF with an Epson P7000 with an inline spectro, I agree with DCurry you do not want halftone screens. I believe to get halftones simulated on an inkjet you need software to do that.

With our setup, the only choice for half-toning is "epson Precision Dot".

Our P7000 does not have the violet, we are 99.9% 4 color, so we do not have our workflow set for accurate spot reproduction.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Joe

Back in the day when we still made proofs we did send screened 1 bit tiffs for proofing. XF had a descreen function it ran on them and then made the proof. That was a long time ago and seems like an unnecessary option. It didn't make the proofs any better. The descreening option probably made them worse.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

screening inkjet proofs was a big deal years ago before a lot of people trusted digital inkjet proofing.

We did it at my old place. Once everybody got used to looking at them, it was decided that the screening really didn't make anything better, so we went back to just letting it be an inkjet proof (piezo heads were not the best back in the day, today they shoot a much smaller dot so they look much better/smoother). We even toyed with doing them with Stocastic screening to make them look better...  didn't work either

oh yeah, the good ole days
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

madbugger

we just send a pdf to our xerox J75 and hope for the best. Tell the customer it is content proof not color accurate. if the job is bigger than SRA3 then it gets shrunk to that size

dunno how we get away with it, but we do
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: johnny_jay on April 27, 2023, 09:41:09 AMWe use Fiery XF with an Epson P7000 with an inline spectro, I agree with DCurry you do not want halftone screens. I believe to get halftones simulated on an inkjet you need software to do that.

With our setup, the only choice for half-toning is "epson Precision Dot".

Our P7000 does not have the violet, we are 99.9% 4 color, so we do not have our workflow set for accurate spot reproduction.
What he said.

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway